Premed 101 Forums

Are Personal Letters important after getting Interview invite?

Do Personal Letters play an important role in your application...especially once you get IV invite?

Or is there more emphasis on ref letters/CV?

Also, do the interviewers refer to the personal letter...or do they ask more questions from CV?

Basically, how much of a role does the personal leter play?

Thanks!

Do Personal Letters play an important role in your application...especially once you get IV invite?

Also, do the interviewers refer to the personal letter...or do they ask more questions from CV?

Thanks!

Honestly I was once in your shoes, after doing my research, asking people, nothing is important after the invite, but the Interview it self. They will ask questions on your CV, PS and Application, they may not. They will look at your references, :cool:

Thanks!

what are going for again GS

Just to put a little disclaimer:

Man_2ba, who joined this site a few weeks ago, has been posting on every carms-related thread telling people that nothing in your application matters once you get the interview invite besides the interview itself.

I'm not calling him a liar, but this is a pretty bold statement to make considering it is likely based on the opinion of a few people at his home school.

The fact is, every program will decide on their own how they rank candidates, and you will NEVER know what their formula consists of...

And really, what will it change for you at this point whether the PS is a factor in their decision or not? Everything is already submitted!!!

Just to put a little disclaimer:

Man_2ba, who joined this site a few weeks ago, has been posting on every carms-related thread telling people that nothing in your application matters once you get the interview invite besides the interview itself.

I'm not calling him a liar, but this is a pretty bold statement to make considering it is likely based on the opinion of a few people at his home school.

The fact is, every program will decide on their own how they rank candidates, and you will NEVER know what their formula consists of...

And really, what will it change for you at this point whether the PS is a factor in their decision or not? Everything is already submitted!!!

I joined, I learned, I researched and now I can say I have mastered the CaRMS.

Everything Matters

+1

A lot of similar posts in this vein lately. This site is generally of pretty good quality, but a dose of good judgment is helpful when reading posts, especially around key times in the application cycle.

+1

A lot of similar posts in this vein lately. This site is generally of pretty good quality, but a dose of good judgment is helpful when reading posts, especially around key times in the application cycle.

Thanks LF.

Seriously, sometimes when I read the posts on this site.... I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!!

tumblr_limcl6ck0P1qam9f4.jpg

+1

Agreed. Seems like the increasing neurotic-ness of med applications has finally filtered into CaRMS. I'll probably get flamed for saying that but it's quite clear based on a lot of the posts in this section.

I also agree with justletmein - what does it matter if it's taken into account or not post-interview??? They have what they have and they'll use what they want. It's done now. All you can focus on at this point is not bombing the interview.

As for Man_2ba - there's no such thing as "mastering" CaRMS. You're making assumptions based on what you've heard from a handful of people. Even if some day you're on the CaRMS committee for your program, you haven't mastered anything. You just know how that ONE program out of hundreds makes its decisions.

AHHH.

/rant.

Archived