Premed 101 Forums

How often do people get asked medical questions in interviews?

great question,

not to hijack, but similarly for surgery interviews, do surgeons ask a candidate how to carry out certain procedures, like a lap appy?

I highly doubt it.

The interview is not intended to test your clinical or procedural skills.

... but that's not to say it will NEVER happen... anything can happen, but your time is likely better spent preparing answers to the more typical interview questions.

Here in US, interviews for competitive surgical programs can get quite scary.

One of my classmates was at this ortho interview the other week.

The assistant Program Director held a group meeting with the applicants.

One by one he presented a case to the applicants and asked each applicant to come up with a plan/protocols/possible complications/etc on the spot.

At this other ENT program in the south, each applicant has to present at the ground round (small program + small interviewee pool) and gets drilled by the attendings.

Not sure if these are 100% true but they are what my classmates told me about their interview experiences.

Yeah I believe that, hence my OCD questions on interviews on this forum...

Here in US, interviews for competitive surgical programs can get quite scary.

One of my classmates was at this ortho interview the other week.

The assistant Program Director held a group meeting with the applicants.

One by one he presented a case to the applicants and asked each applicant to come up with a plan/protocols/possible complications/etc on the spot.

At this other ENT program in the south, each applicant has to present at the ground round (small program + small interviewee pool) and gets drilled by the attendings.

Not sure if these are 100% true but they are what my classmates told me about their interview experiences.

I've heard from other IMGs that clinical cases are often asked for most Family Med programs. I don't know about other fields - especially the competitive ones. Its possible that CMGs have a more laid back IV, especially since most of them have probably done an elective or two with that program, so the IV panel already knows about their clinical skills/knowledge. But IMGs are probably asked some clinical Qs. However, I just found out that my IV is going to be only half an hour - not sure how many clinical Qs they can fit in there, along with Qs that would help them get to know me a little better to determine whether I'll be a good fit and eventually a good physician.

Already heard of a case being presented at peds interviews, where you had to ask questions and come up with the diagnosis. Nothing hard though (I think it was an idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in a young child who consulted for mutiple ecchymosis).

The logic was probably not to test your knowledge, but rather to see the way you think while trying to elaborate a diagnosis (I don't think arriving to the exact diagnosis was important, but I wasn't on the interview panel).

Never heard of the such in internal medicine.

Apparently surgical subspecialties, especially ENT and plastics like to ask clinical questions. For example, in ENT interviews:

- name the branches of the external carotid artery in ascending order

- how would you manage a post-tonsillectomy bleed?

- identify the facial nerve and other structures on an axial cut through temporal bone / inner ear cavity

Those are just a few of the examples that I've heard...

Archived