Premed 101 Forums

Do programs ask you what you're ranking them???

e_is_hv

Hey Everyone,

I originally thought this was an illegal question, but some residents were telling me they were asked it point blank (i.e. "how do you intend to rank us?"). So can they ask you this? Are you allowed to answer with a number or just say the general "very highly?".

If I have a program that I really, really want (which I do), can I tell them they're my number one choice in my closing statement.

Many thanks - goodluck everybody.

Yeah honestly. I feel like if I was gonna be asked if I was married or had kids, I might just chicken out and say no, even though I could technically say "Why does that matter" or some other "You can't ask me that!" but at the end of the day, while it's none of their business, I don't REALLY care if they know and leave them with the idea that I might have something to hide.

This question in not allowed. But that doesn't mean they won't ask. I was asked inappropriate questions in some interviews. (which made me rank them lower/not at all).

Just be prepared with an answer.

For the one about how you intend to rank. It is fine to be vague, as one person mentioned, just say something like ... I intend to rank your program highly or something along those lines.

Your school may go over these scenarios with you to prep. Ours did prior to interviews.

Archived