Premed 101 Forums

Course Based Masters Reference Letters

Hello everyone, I am looking for a little bit of advice. I am applying to a few course based masters programs (Public Health), and am torn regarding who I should use as my third reference letter.

Option 1:

A university professor who I took three classes with last semester, and received an A+ in all of them. I received very positive written feedback regarding my writing style, research skills and the professional presentation of my written work. We spoke several times after class, and I know that I was the top student in at least two of the three classes and these classes are peripherally related to the graduate program I am applying to. The hesitation I have regarding this choice is a) I don't feel that she knows me personally very well, even though I have a strong academic record with her and B) I am cutting it very fine in regards to how much time I would be giving her to complete the referee form/reference letter (my fault I know, but I was in hospital for surgery and then caught the flu).

Option 2:

A former employer who I worked for as a private tutor. I tutored her son while he was home schooled and have known her for many years. In the past when I have asked for reference letters she has requested that I create a draft for her and she has simply reviewed and signed the letter. She adores me and is very supportive of my academic studies, but is not the best writer (although I don't think this should be a problem since I am sure she will ask me to create a draft again). I am absolutely certain that she would complete all of the forms very quickly, so time would not be an issue.

I already have two professors writing reference letters for me, and the program applications require that only one be academic. I am very confident that my other two profs will write very strong letters, as they know me on both an academic and personal basis (even though I actually performed better in Option 2's classes).

What would you do? One of the professors that is writing me a letter told me that she thought the university professor would be the better choice, but I'm torn because I think an employment/teaching reference could make me more 'well rounded' applicant, but I also don't want the admissions committee to discount the letter because it isn't from a 'professional'.

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions :)

Truth be told, if you are a strong candidate it shouldnt really matter as both individuals would give you excellet references from their perspective of you. If you have two academic references from professors already I suppose the former employer would be my choice because it provides more insight into who you are, rather than just another academic based reference, this will provide more depth to you as a person. This is pure speculation on my part of course.

When I apply to programs I always try to provide an array of courses to create a "3-D" image of me ... for my MPH I had three references 1) A manager at Public Health who I worked under during a Public Health rotation for my dietetic training, 2) A Nurse Manager at an ICU I volunteered for 2 years, 3) A professor for an academic assessment. I felt it gave a nice picture of me as a person .... and hey they took me :)

Good luck.

Beef

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on which MPH program you are applying to.

I just finished my MPH in Health promotion at UofT, and I can tell you that for our program, as long as you have the grades, it is better to show that you are a well-rounded individual who has a passion for whatever aspect of health you have (and this, by the way can be virtually anything - even things that aren't traditionally thought of as health related, e.g. water conservation, poverty, etc.)

If however, you are applying to a more, say, statistically rigorous program, like epi, I would say perhaps an academic reference would be more helpful.

For our program, you need a pretty strong personal statement, and your ECs should line up with your statement, more than anything else. I had two non-academic references and I got in! :)

Best of luck!

Archived