Premed 101 Forums

Can you accept from more than one school?

Guest Gidel

Guest Gidel

I know that in Ontario, you can only pick one. But can you accept from one school first, then when you get the one you really want, revoke the first and accept the second? how does all this work...seeing as different school accept at different times?

Giddy

Guest Ian Wong

I believe that is the reason why all Ontario med schools do their acceptances/rejections on May 31, to minimize the problems. I know that I was accepted by UBC first, and was later accepted by U of Calgary. U of Calgary was aware that UBC had accepted me already, and called to confirm with me that I was staying in Vancouver. Therefore, the med schools definitely have some communication with each other, and so while you can have multiple schools send you acceptance letters, it's good courtesy to send back your "I decline your acceptance" letters to all the schools except the 1-3 that you are usually deciding upon.

In general, I think most applicants have between 1-3 schools that they would really like to attend, and then a number of "backup" schools. Once you have multiple acceptances, consider which schools you would no longer attend, and let them know. It helps them work their way down the acceptance list, and gets those poor people off the waitlists as soon as possible.

Ian

UBC, MS2

Archived