Premed 101 Forums

Weightings on GPA, MCAT, interview

Guest Random

Guest Random

In Canada, the 2-tier health care system starts at its infancy in training the physicians. After passing the GPA/MCAT thresholds, med schools will use their secret formula to calculate again who gets in and who got yanked out: with absolutely no mercy.

Does anybody know the actual breakdown of the weightings for each med school? All I know is UWO is 1/3 each on GPA, MCAT, and interview. I e-mailed some med schools like Calgary and UT, but it seems to me that they are keeping the receipe in the national security category, so I guess there's no point asking and the whole selection process remains pretty much a black box operation.

Any verified information to the GPA, MCAT, and interview weightings employed by each school?

Peace

I know that according to the Manitoba website, GPA is 10%, MCAT 50% and combination of essay, references and interview are 40%.

Guest Ian Wong

A couple years back, Dr. Bates at UBC was stating in her admissions talks that the formula was:

10% MCAT's and extra-currics/references

40% GPA

50% Interview

Naturally, this is more a guideline than anything else; to expect complete adherence to these formulas when trying to evaluate the immense individual variations between applicants is impossible.

Ian

UBC, MS2

RANDOM,

Actually this year Western changed their formula to 1/4 MCAT (verbal + writing), 1/4 GPA, 1/2 interview. Hope this helps.

Archived