Premed 101 Forums

dental schools as a backup??

Are there still lots of students who consider dental school as their back-up plan? Because I think quite a number of students decline their offer to go to med school, but I think in the states, not many ppl do that (and waitlist doesn't move as much as in here). Why is dentistry not as popular in the states? or is it just that Canadians love medicine so much?

Are there still lots of students who consider dental school as their back-up plan? Because I think quite a number of students decline their offer to go to med school, but I think in the states, not many ppl do that (and waitlist doesn't move as much as in here). Why is dentistry not as popular in the states? or is it just that Canadians love medicine so much?

It's just my personal opinion...

In the states, you must indicate on your dental app whether you are also applying to med/pharm/opto/etc. and it's not looked favorably upon by dental schools (and no, you can't lie on your app). So it's a bad idea to apply to multiple professional schools.

In Canada, I don't think the schools ask for that information or are able to find out the truth. So people do it because they simply can without 'penalty'. I personally know many Canadians who are doing it.

It's just my personal opinion...

In the states, you must indicate on your dental app whether you are also applying to med/pharm/opto/etc. and it's not looked favorably upon by dental schools (and no, you can't lie on your app). So it's a bad idea to apply to multiple professional schools.

In Canada, I don't think the schools ask for that information or are able to find out the truth. So people do it because they simply can without 'penalty'. I personally know many Canadians who are doing it.

But don't many ppl apply to at least 7-8 schools in the States? are you sure they care about how many schools we applied to?? :confused:

I think here, there aren't many dental schools so ppl also apply to med schools and consider either one as their backup. And it's also very competitive compared to the States, so they'll need to have another option..

The difference being though that if someone was really pegging all along for med they would have had to focus a lot more on extracurrics, and may not have all the prerequs for all the dental schools to be able to apply to all of them. Limits the likelihood of being able to use dent as a med backup.

Archived