Premed 101 Forums

Religion

Guest Elias

Guest Elias

Is it a good or bad idea generally to site being involved in a church or mosque when applying to Med School? As a life experience, motivation and activity. Will the applicant be looked at as a kind of freak? I ask because of the abortion, cloning and stem cell issues right now. I get the impression that the school's staff are mostly agnostic/athiest and might take a condescending if not negative view of the applicant. What do you guys think?

Guest Anon

I wouldn't hesitate to include any involvement that you have had with a church/mosque. I applied to medical schools this year and definitely included my involvement in church activities in my autobiography. It shows that you have interests and committments outside of academics which is important as well. In my interview no one asked me whether my religious beliefs influenced my opinions on abortion etc. Interviewers shy away from those questions. If they do ask your opinion on an ethical issue it is more likely to see whether you can form an educated and supported arguement. Just my opinion, I hope that it helps!

Just wanted to tell you that I was interviewed at McGill by a Reverend doctor. So sometimes religion and science mix. I would proudly include any volunteer work involving religious organizations. I think it shows that you are a well-rounded individual.

Guest Elias

Thanks for the replies. My concern was that since these issues are in such contention right now it is sometimes risky not being politically correct.

Archived