Premed 101 Forums

To Tell Or Not To Tell

Guest Jello

Guest Jello

I have a very serious question...My girlfriend, went to UBC for two years, and then last year she went to University of Ottawa for family reasons (i.e closer proximity to home), and she did extremely bad there....now she is planning to apply to med school with her UBC marks only and does not plan to tell her Univ. of Ottawa marks to the med schools..

Now do you think that is wise for her to do that...I mean won't the med school check these things through SIN card or some other means...??? what are all your opinion on this matter??

Guest BCgirl

Your girlfriend should definately NOT do that! She would be jeopardizing her chances of being accepted anywhere... if a school found out that she lied on her application, she could probably get black listed and wouldn't get in anywhere or if she was already in and they somehow found out it's possible she could get kicked out of med school. Why would she risk her entire career? She can try to use her bad year as a learning experience or something.

Guest UBCmed2005

BCgirl you are absolutely correct! Your girlfriend must be very ignorant to think that she can pull something so lame as to hide a year's grades. Medicine is a career that demands highest level of integrity from its practitioners and if an applicant lies or intentionally hides important information, they are going into the wrong career.

Anyways, I did not mean to sound so harsh. But, it is definitely not in her best interests to do that and trust me, all med schools have the ability to figure out that she might be lying.

Good luck to her and cheers to you!

Guest asdf

It's a high risk I personally would not take...

Even if your girlfriend did really bad that year, she should consider other options... (apply after 4th yr, etc) and improve on her extracurricular stuff...

I'm sure the medschools would not check everybody's records, but she may not be so lucky...

If she did fine on the first two years, but did bad on third, I'm sure there is a logical explanation for that. Just make sure she does well in her 4th yr.

my 2 cents...

Guest Ian Wong

I'm sure people have gotten into med school having falsified some of their credentials. If this wasn't a problem, med schools wouldn't need such strict policies on expulsion following discovery of fraudulent application materials.

I assume that your girlfriend would have residency status in either Ontario or BC. Here's what OMSAS has to say about this. Click on the link below, and then go to page 8 of 42 under Section 8 "Application Irregularities".

www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/OMSAS2001e.pdf

As you can see, with-holding information is deemed fraudulent, and would result in immediate rejection of your application. You can check the individual med school web-sites, but I guarantee that you run the risk of expulsion should you be discovered once you have already entered the program.

UBC Med doesn't mention the consequences of falsifying information on their web-site, but again, I can virtually guarantee you that she would be asked to leave the med program, were she accepted.

The bottom line, is that there is a chance that she will not be caught. If she is, she can forget about medical school in Canada. She may have better luck explaining away the bad year, and then pointing out the other strong years/MCAT scores, etc, that would make her a good candidate.

Ian

UBC, MS2

Guest Mufactor

i am looking more at the legality part of the argument and not the moraliy part, so please bear with me......

i don't know about the exact verification process of your referees/autobio, etc. but when it comes to verifying your academic record (checking your transcripts), even if the applicant seemingly withheld academic record while applying to the med school, what can the med school do? isn't it true that there are provincial/federal laws protecting all personal information, including the release of transcripts, that a university/college cannot release any information to the third party without the written consent of the applicant? it's like if you attended A college and went to B college in the summer, got 3 F grades, and then went back to A college again to finish your degree. when you apply to C medical school, they probably won't know your presence at B college unless you elect to/feeling obliged to them. B college does not have the right to reveal your attendance, nor is it legal to do so without your written authorization. actually there are a lot of legal loopholes in this society, so watch out :(

Guest saywhat

exactly!...mufactor makes an extremely valid point...the legality allows a student to do that....sure in terms of morality we can always argue that it is NOT the right thing to do...but this profession is so coveted that people will definitely try to do everything possible to establish a strong application...again, I highly doubt a med school has the power to find out the above circumstances (especially) of that described by mufactor...In my 4 years of med school life I have yet to see any thing of that sort ever being found out ....but hey nobody said that this was a fair world :( )

Guest UBCmed2005

I think when you fill out the application, you have to sign the application agreeing to the statement saying that you have neither witheld nor falsified any information and you kind of sign a waiver for them to investigate your academic records. Beware! they have ALL powers and they can destroy your career before it even begins!!

Guest Jello

I realize what she plans to do is not ethical, but nevertheless she is very desparate...I mean her Gpa even without that year is hardly 3.7...(which by the way, of course, does not justify her actions)..

Hello???

She is going to risk her name and pride to withhold info just because her GPA is hardly 3.7?

Is it much lower than that to take the risk??

My GPA was 3.5-6 and it is possible to get into UBC (I did). I am sure she would feel a lot better maintaining her integrity, than to do otherwise. A lot of schools also have that extra line where you can fill in about why you didn't perform so well. She can use that to her advantage. Try to play up her other assets. Like her honesty and persistence.

Anyway, I don't want to sound preachy, and I know med is very difficult to get into. I hope everything turns out well.

Archived