Premed 101 Forums

VR Question

I believe you only get the `bonus`once you`ve completed. Master`s is 1% and PhD is 4%. I guess it`s to help people who have graduate degrees and who may not have done as well in their undergrad to be competitive. This approach is similar to other schools that look at graduate applicants separately (U of T and Queen`s, for example).

For the OP and others with similar backgrounds/anxieties: I had a bottoming-out smack in the middle of my UG, and took a long while to fix it, so my cGPA is an abysmal 3.22 - yes, you read that right - and I'm non-Ontario, to boot. However, I managed a 15 MCAT VR, with luck and pretty specific aptitude. What's a person to do, right? So, I'm giving it a shot, especially with the wildcard that is CASPer, because if no one lets me in, fair enough, but if I tell myself I'm not getting in, I'm just cheating myself. I know the waiting's hard (it's driving me pretty crazy), especially when you fit into the grey maybes, but no matter what, you're giving it a shot, and that's something.

Oh, and man oh man, do I ever hear everyone about "everybody's asking" syndrome - next time, I'm keeping it under my hat!

Words for the season: care enough to make plans and have dreams for your life, and be humble enough to change them when you need to.

For the OP and others with similar backgrounds/anxieties: I had a bottoming-out smack in the middle of my UG, and took a long while to fix it, so my cGPA is an abysmal 3.22 - yes, you read that right - and I'm non-Ontario, to boot. However, I managed a 15 MCAT VR, with luck and pretty specific aptitude. What's a person to do, right? So, I'm giving it a shot, especially with the wildcard that is CASPer, because if no one lets me in, fair enough, but if I tell myself I'm not getting in, I'm just cheating myself. I know the waiting's hard (it's driving me pretty crazy), especially when you fit into the grey maybes, but no matter what, you're giving it a shot, and that's something.

Oh, and man oh man, do I ever hear everyone about "everybody's asking" syndrome - next time, I'm keeping it under my hat!

Words for the season: care enough to make plans and have dreams for your life, and be humble enough to change them when you need to.

That's incredibly inspiring! Thanks for sharing your struggles and success!

Please don't beat me up but I just want to know, the VR section consists ONLY of passages with multiple choice answers? I did a couple practice ones online and in the prep books and scored quite well. They don't look at the essay portion?

Are you talking about the newer AAMC practice tests? If so that's good because they're pretty accurate I'd say, but if not, take care in what you're using. There's a huuuge variation in the difficulties and scaled scores given on various VR practice materials out there, from easier to harder than the real thing (eg some of the kaplan stuff was painfully easy)

For the OP and others with similar backgrounds/anxieties: I had a bottoming-out smack in the middle of my UG, and took a long while to fix it, so my cGPA is an abysmal 3.22 - yes, you read that right - and I'm non-Ontario, to boot. However, I managed a 15 MCAT VR, with luck and pretty specific aptitude.

Hat's off for that score, that should really open some doors for you.

good job...i hope you let us know if you got an invite....your story is very aspiring

Archived