Premed 101 Forums

Need summer advice

Roquentin

Situation

a) I am being offered a full-time paid position to work in a lab this summer

B) I want to prepare for the MCATs this summer: take the kaplan course, and study pretty hard, hopefully do well

c) I'm in second-year right now

Choices:

a) I take the paid position, and do the mcats (I feel as though they would both be compromised?)

B) I only take the paid position, no MCATs

c) Take the MCATS after studying very hard, no job

d) ???

I appreciate any comment. Though my main question is, do you think it's possible to study and do well on the MCATs while I work full time?

P.S: I genuinely have this question, and I would appreciate any helpful comments from people who've already studied for the MCATs. Your input will clinch my decision one way or the other. Also, I didn't create this account just to make this post -- I've been a member for a while but I just don't know enough to help others out yet, so I lurk.

I was in a very similar situation, full-time job or MCAT... I would personally say take the job. And if you want the MCAT hard enough you will put the time in.. An hour or two every day all summer will prepare you. well enough Job = experience +money. If money isn't at all a concern for you for whatever reason then maybe take the MCAT.

It all really depends on your work ethic. I decided to do just MCAT and my time management wasn't great, so I found I would have profited more by taking the job.

I do feel as though I have a very good work ethic.

I'm kind of poor but money is not an issue for me (not a spender, studying on loans). I think I will pretty much have to live and breathe work + mcat, like 8 hours of work + 6 hours of MCAT, every day, for 4~5 months. I know I can do this, but my question is, will it be enough? (of course I won't be 100% efficient in studying).

@Future_doc, my priority was originally doing the MCAT, but the job offer (I couldn't care less for the money) is a fantastic research opportunity here I gain great skills and contacts. As I've said above, I want to know if this much time will be enough to study properly?

You can always study, write to get to know the test. Next summer, write to kill the test.

The job is important (and I've been there as well). If you're not planning to apply in year 3, then enjoy learning and working at the same time. It might also strengthen your time management skills, as well as point out the areas in particular that you're having issues with.

You can always study, write to get to know the test. Next summer, write to kill the test.

The job is important (and I've been there as well). If you're not planning to apply in year 3, then enjoy learning and working at the same time. It might also strengthen your time management skills, as well as point out the areas in particular that you're having issues with.

Today 05:30 PM

This is great. It clicks in my head. I do see undergrad as a standalone experience and not as a stepping stone to med school, so having good work experiences is important to me.

• 2 months later...

Take the job, no question. You can study and take the MCAT at the end of the summer - you may or may not have time for a prep course, but by the sounds of it, you don't really need one since you already have a good work ethic. The main advantage of a prep course is the structure to whip students to get cracking on materials. If you can do that yourself, you may not need it - especially if you have a science background, which it sounds like you do since you're getting a lab job.

Personally, I don't see why everyone is so afraid of studying for the MCAT while holding a full-time job. I'm doing it right now, its not that bad. I study about 2-3 hours per day after work, do a practice test and review it on the weekend and I'm in good shape. Plus, I can still volunteer for 10+ hours per week and have some time to spend with family and my girlfriend.

Oh, don't forget to exercise too. That's important!

Even if you come to the conclusion that you can't do both, take the job anyway. You can do the MCAT anytime; real experience is better (sounds like you've already figured that out).

Good luck!

Archived