Premed 101 Forums

Speaking French - asset/requirement?

I was asked about my French proficiency at McGill (which I had made no claims to in my application). So a tip is perhaps to think about something you could say in French if asked this question, which in hindsight might have been nice to do.

Is it frowned upon if I haven't spoken French since OAC? That was like 11 years ago for me. I was able to get back during my summer trip to Paris but I haven't spoken it since then. Of course, I will learn it once I matched there =P

• 3 weeks later...

When they say that French is an 'asset' and not a 'requirement', most are referring to a hospital based setting where one has lots of colleagues to translate for you. But once you are out in the community doing ambulatory care, more than 70% of the patients speak french, so it would be most advantageous to know the language well! But don't you worry, the univ offers weekend classes in French if you are into that (vs. spending the weekend camping, travelling, or surfing)..! The choice is yours, but make sure you make a wise one!

Archived