Premed 101 Forums

Some Questions

Guest kooky kanooa

Guest kooky kanooa

I graduated high school last year with well basically only what i needed to take to graduate and not with the best marks neither. I am goign back to school in the fall to begin upgrading, my question is what kinds of high school courses do i need or does that even matter....i've read through osme of theese posts...do I need to have some sort of degree before i even think about med school?

any input is appreciated, thanks

-Sarah-

Basically in high school you need biology, chemistry, math (to take statistics) and possibly physics (depends on the prereqs for intro physics courses at the University you attend).

Then you need marks high enough to get into a University or transfer program. Generally students then work towards a science degree. Each Med school has its own course requirements, so check their webpages to see what classes you need to take.

Then you take the MCAT, a test administered by the AAMC in the states.

After all this, you begin applying to Med after your 3/4 year (2 is possible in Alberta, but thats rare).

If there is one piece of advice I can give you:

Work as hard as you can while you're upgrading. I sailed through high school without putting in much effort, and it wasn't until I got to University that I really knew the meaning of "hard work." If you work hard now, you'll have an advantage over most students when it comes to study skills.

Best of luck.

Archived