Premed 101 Forums

Is it really worth it to study that much?

DaKirbster

Hey everyone,

As the topic implies, I've recently been wondering if its really important for me to study that much for the MCAT. I mainly say this because I mostly want to get into UBC, and I hear the MCAT doesn't matter *as much* there. I've been studying for about a month while working full time, and took the free practice test and one of kaplan's full length tests (#3) and got 12/10/12 and 12/10/11, respectively, so I already feel like I'm capable of scoring a reasonable score (I've also been consistently getting around 10 on separate full length VR's). I've been studying everyday and extra every weekend and have been planning on keeping that up for another 2-3 months (not grudgingly; I have actually been enjoying it because the material is easy and fun to review, and I like being busy and feeling productive), but lately I've stepped back from the whole situation to think about it.

Its just a test. Studying more in-depth for the MCAT isn't going to help me in any other aspect of my life or application (except maybe a 35 instead of a 33, but if its not that big of a deal at UBC...), so is it really worth dedicating that much of my time and life to it? I almost feel like getting more involved in extra curriculars and other volunteering would be more beneficial for application and life purposes.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else ever considered this before?

I think you have to look at the situation from multiple perspectives. First, you have no idea how much the MCAT plays a role in the admissions process. I know a girl who goes to my school that has a high average, great EC's, and many people, including professors, think she has great interview skills. She got rejected to UBC last year (post-interview). When I asked her what part of her application she felt was weak, she said her MCAT score. The MCAT, for all we know, could be just as important as the interview. Plus, if you stop now, how do you know you can keep up the score by the time you write the test?

You also said that you would rather use your time to volunteer, but how much will the extra few months of volunteering help you? Probably not much. As far as I know, volunteering simply determines your NAQ score and if your TFR score is good enough you will get an interview (then again, only the admissions team knows). You should have an idea of whether your in that ball park because you can determine your AQ and you can get some sort of idea what your NAQ will come out to based on other applicants who have similar activities/hours.

The point I am trying to make is that you can't be sure of anything. If I knew for a fact that your GPA and EC's were only used to determine whether or not you'd get an interview, then I'd be content because I wouldn't have to aim for the highest mark possible or volunteer until my legs fall off (that is, of course, if you plan to only apply to UBC).

My advice: Do your best in every single aspect of the application. There are plenty of people who have the whole package so don't be the person who doesn't. Study for your MCAT, volunteer on the side if you wish, and apply.

Another point to make is: What if you want to apply to schools other than UBC, but your MCAT score doesn't meet it the cut-offs?

At the end of the day, you are capable of making your own decisions and only you will know whether or not you are ready to write the MCAT with the amount of time that you have put in practicing.

Good luck,

Lunasly.

Just wanted to continue my post here:

I called admissions and registration, and this is what they told me:

Do your best you can on your MCAT. They look at your MCAT post-interview along with your GPA, NAQ, and how you did on your interview. They take a holistic approach to the post-interview decisions with the interview holding the most weight. However, they may contemplate taking you in if you just made it past cut-offs for the TFR and MCAT score, even if you did very well.

This is the paraphrased conversation I had with UBC admissions yesterday. I recommend you call them as well and ask them. They should all say the same thing – I have only called once, however.

Study hard,

Lunasly.

Archived