Premed 101 Forums

Writing Sample - Paragraph 3 clarification

manchika

I just started preparing for MCAT and got the PR books from a friend.I was going through their writing sample section and could not understand what the third paragraph should be doing... They explained it like Thesis(T)- Antithesis(A)and Synthesis (S). I read the synthesis part multiple times and still did not follow what to include

What are they looking for in the third part of the WS section?:confused:

Can someone help me understand it

In the third paragraph, you should sum up your essay, state a rule that can be used to determine when the statement is true and when it is not true. You can also mention the examples from paragraphs 1 and 2 to support the rule you state. As holiday1001 mentioned, you should not include any additional examples or arguments that have not been previously explained in your essay. Basically, treat this paragraph as a concluding paragraph.

a tip that may or may not be legit but I found helped me. when you pick your two examples, try to pick two examples that are similar enough to make a connection, yet dissimilar enough to use as opposing argument. It's easy to find opposing arguments, but it's the similarity between the two that helps you pull it together in the 3rd paragraph. Two aspects of the same topic, if you will.

In the third paragraph, you should sum up your essay, state a rule that can be used to determine when the statement is true and when it is not true. You can also mention the examples from paragraphs 1 and 2 to support the rule you state. As holiday1001 mentioned, you should not include any additional examples or arguments that have not been previously explained in your essay. Basically, treat this paragraph as a concluding paragraph.

+1... "if such and such is the case, one should follow in the foot steps of [example 1]. if, on the other hand, this and that is the case, [example 2] is a more fitting response." obviously you freshen it up a bit, and maybe explain a little more, but ya.

Archived