Premed 101 Forums

Anybody know what a good score is for the psych NBME? I just got my score back and it says it is not a percentage, but rather a scaled score. Apparently most scores fall between 45 and 95, but the mean is 70. It was a VERY hard test, but because it was scaled, I know it was hard for everyone. Anybody know what a good score is?

Based on the version of the test you took, if the average is 70, then a 'good'/above average score would be more than 70. Not sure what your question is.

I should clarify the purpose of my question. Do competitive specialties key in on NBME scores? I am not necessarily going for psych, but I gave that test all I had and I'm not sure I could do much better on the rest of my core NBME's.

Somehow I doubt it matters much in comparison to things like overall ward clinical performance grades, letters of recommend, CV, personal statement etc.

I guess I am just hoping someone can confirm my hopes...

Depending on your medical school, very few would include a NBME mark on your transcript, and no residency selection committee would otherwise have access to that. So unless you included it in your application somehow (which I think would be weird), it won't have any effect on residency.

Archived