Premed 101 Forums

Comment on my chances/options?

esther0123

Hi there,

I've just recently started thinking about American schools as a possibility, and I was wondering if top-tier schools (harvard, hopkins, nwo, yale, columbia?) would be even a possibility for me.

cgpa: 3.79 (amcas - I'm not entirely sure if I converted it correctly, but this is roughly where it's at), 3.76 (omsas), 86% (current institution -- top 3 Canadian schools)

strong upward trend in ogpa, last two years being 3.9 - 4.0

research: 2 summers (one usra), a few conferences, thesis (no pubs yet)

volunteer/extracurricular: 1 long term mentorship with youth at risk, several student art exhibitions, delegation at a couple national conferences, several awards (big and small, largest one 4 years renewable worth 12 000)

deal breaker: mcat in august

possible special point: raised in foster care system, abusive childhood, moved out to live on my own since 16 (and still living alone) with the support of the Ministry.

I would really appreciate some insights since I'm a little clueless when it comes to American schools!

Everything looks strong, but for top tier schools (and you clearly know this) it will be dependent on your MCAT. You need to be looking at a 35, 36+ to give yourself a good shot. I had a 3.76/33 and while I got into a few mid-low tier schools, I was shut out at the upper tier. Maybe it was my ECs but I feel it was mostly my low stats holding me back.

Also, if you are planning on applying this year, an August MCAT is pretty late for American applications. Read the stickied application thread in this forum by North12, it has almost everything you will need!

Depends on the person. Do a mock test on the aamc website (I think AAMC is free). See how you do and decide. Also, don't get hung up too much about going to a top tier school. Any MD school in the US will train you to be a good doctor. Get into a school first, rock the USMLE, then apply to a top residency.

Stick with late May or early-mid June for the MCAT. If you only apply to top, rolling admissions schools, you may be let down. Also, if you add mid and low tiers, a late application may lead to disappointment. Trust me, when you get your first acceptance, you will be one of the happiest people alive - do not be hesitant about the kind of school you are applying to. Your background looks excellent. I feel that with your GPA, you must score at least a 37 to have a shot at the very top schools. To justify my point, just take a look at the list of stats from individuals accepted to some of the schools you are interested in: http://www.mdapplicants.com (tick the accepted box during your search)

deal breaker: MCAT, how you describe your ECs, and your essay (just a tip with the essay - after reading a few of these, I feel that individuals with shaky backgrounds make that their focus and really do not answer why medicine. Their essays are too emotional and seem to seek pity. Remember to link back to your choice in committing to medicine as a career).

Good luck!

Hi, thanks for the response and referral to the sticky. I just checked that rolling admission starts looking at applications June-July... Do you suggest I change the date to July? Would 2.5 months be enough to study for MCAT?

Archived