Premed 101 Forums

winnipeg or saskatoon?

I cannot tell you much about Sask, but I did interview at Manitoba and I had a very good impression of them

- Many of their staffs including the PD have trained for fellowships in the US (UCSF, UCSD, Stanford...), so they have good connections

- One of their staff has an academic appointment at Stanford

- ALL of your conferences are fully funded (which is unique to their program), because they have this thing called Northern Medical Unit where the senior residents read plain films for the NW territories, and it generates tons of $$$ for them, that's why they're very well funded and you benefit from that.

- Their hospitals are very nice, spacious and new, again because they have funding.

- They have good opportunities for research

- They have a very busy and active neuro-interventional service, so if it's something that interests you, something to think about.

- The people I met at interview were all very nice and personable, and looked like people I'd like to work with.

- Cannot tell you much about city, but Manitoba has many nice lakes with sandy beaches. There are some violent areas in Winnipeg, but just like any major city, you just need to avoid them.

I have not interviewed at Sask, but in terms of fellowship opportunities at least, I heard from a Sask student that some staffs have prestigious fellowships. I know for a fact that someone is going for a fellowship at UCSD with Resnick from Sask (but almost every program across Canada has 1-2 residents going to UCSD for MSK).

Archived