Premed 101 Forums

Move to get "in-province" status?

Hello,

I would really appreciate some advice on my situation:

I decided to pursue medicine about two years ago, shortly after finishing my Bachelor of Arts degree (I've always been interested in health). For the last two years or so, I have been working full-time in a clinic, taken the MCAT, been involved in research, volunteered etc. Overall, my extra-curriculars are very strong as are my references. I live in B.C.

Because I don't have a science background I only applied to three schools last Fall - Mac, U of C and NOSM. I did not get any interviews.

My OMSAS GPA is 3.78 and my U of C GPA is 3.95. My MCAT VR score only 8... and due to my lack of science background, my MCAT science scores are low too.

I don't want to give up, so I am trying to come up with a new plan. I definitely need to re-write my MCAT. I am seriously considering moving to Alberta to get "in-province status". Would U of C be my best shot? Or should I still try for Mac (has always been my first choice) and move to Ontario instead? Is it obvious to the admission committee that someone moved to their province just to get this advantage? Do they ask in interviews about this?

Before I could apply to UBC, I would have to take all their chemistry, biochem and English pre-req courses... something which is hard to do when I need to work full-time.

Thanks.

go to the UofC sub forum for info on this.

A lot of people ask about moving to get IP status. Short answer to get you interested: I moved to Calgary to get IP status. I received a med acceptance. I had an 8 in verbal.

OMG...if I were not married I'd move to AB tmr!

I have that great best two years but it doesnt work for UBC :(

Archived