Premed 101 Forums

Where to start?

Hey all,

I was just wondering how everyone is preparing for this interview. I've been reading up on ethics, news, and doing a little bit of self reflection...but I feel all over the place!

I don't really know where to begin to tackle this thing so if anyone has some advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Dee

The advice that has been given to me when prepping for interviews is "don't just be yourself, know yourself"

Make an inventory of all your experiences and really know inside out what you did, why you did it, what you gained from it. Also, think of all the personal characteristics med schools are looking for and try to organize your experiences so that you have examples for each, ie, leadership, critical thinking, teamplayer, etc.

Apart from that, so far I feel what has helped in preparing for the MMI is just practicing out loud with other people (you can find made up MMI questions floating around online). Also, try video recording yourself and watch it to see what you can improve in terms of body language. I originally practiced just by writing down my responses to typical interview questions, or practice MMI questions, but I found practicing verbally really helped me more.

1) Lay out the issue in the question clearly.

2) Consider a balanced set of possibilities/dimensions/sides.

3) Use vivid examples where possible.

4) Consider the heart of the question and ensure you answer it.

Every minute or so, pay attention to the interviewer's body language and cues. If they seem like they want to interject or ask a follow-up question, be open to it and let them.

Remain calm, collected, and clear always. Use your hands, facial expressions, and body language to convey your experience, maturity, and confidence.

All in all, smile and be your best self. Doubts help nobody from here onwards.

Since I am on here, I may as well give some of my own personal advice.

You mentioned ethics and I applaud you for reading up on it. But what I find very interesting is the number of people who cites key words like patient autonomy, resource allocation, justification, etc. when responding to an ethical question. Personally, I found that to be very textbookish. You can certainly allude to the key words, but explore it a little and add personal touch to it. It makes you sound a little more insightful.

How much will the interview be based on ethics, personal (eg. conflict solving, leadership, why doctor), and others (eg. current events maybe?)?

:confused: I'm just totally confused, is it going to be similar to Casper, Capser definitely contained a lot of ethical scenarios...

and how many minutes should we aim at talking for the time we get? there will be probing questions so I guess 3,4,5 minutes will be good?

Thanks!:o

I'd worry less about the content because you're unlikely to guess what the questions will be. Better to practice answering questions on the fly. Ask some friends to come up with random issues. You get two minutes to think and then eight to give a cohesive response.

Archived