Premed 101 Forums

DH student wanting to become an MD

I originally signed up for this forum intending to know more info about dentistry applications, but I feel that my desire to become an MD has been stronger than ever and I would definitely be taking the non-traditional route if I want to get there, so here goes:

I am 22 y/o, graduating from a BSc in June 2012. I finished a dental hygiene diploma in 2011.

My GPA (U of A scale) is as follows:

1st year: 3.3

2nd year: 3.5

3rd year (1st year hygiene): 3.1

4th year (2nd year hygiene): 3.5

5th year (3rd year hygiene): 1st sem: 4.0, 2nd sem: (currently taking a 100-level physics course to satisfy the U of A pre-req, and failing miserably at it)

I have 2 years of research experience (within the last two years), presented posters, and currently working on publishing a paper (not first author) this year. Both my research topics revolved around dentistry.

Volunteering-wise, I am currently an exec for 2 student groups. I am an in-school mentor and have also volunteered at the U of A hospital. I am planning on joining a dental mission overseas this summer.

I took the DAT once in 2010, got average marks and being the naive and irrational person that I was, applied to dent schools across Canada twice. Did not land a single interview. After putting much thought to it, I tried to reassure myself that perhaps there is something better for me out there, and if I really wanted to get into dent *that* bad I would've taken the DAT again to get better marks.

So, why med school? All I know is that I have wanted to become a doctor all my life, but suffered from a terrible case of non-existent self-confidence. I always settled for my plan B's in hopes that I could use them as stepping stones to reach my ultimate goal, when I should have done it the other way around. :(

Anyway, no time for regrets. I know I need to keep persevering. At this point, I am just at a loss of what I should do.

1) I can pursue a second UG degree to boost up my GPA.

2) I can pursue an MSc for next year. But I don't even know if my GPA will be good enough despite getting good marks in grad school...

3) Take a year off and just work - but that won't really change the fact that my cGPA is *still* low

And oh yeah, I haven't taken my MCAT yet. As this was a very, very recent decision, I am planning to take it in Sept. I am working as a part-time hygienist though (3x/week) starting May, so I'm not sure if this is even enough time (is it worth investing on those Kaplan courses?)

PS: It took me a couple of hours contemplating whether I should write my story here (it's already 4AM in where I live), more so due to embarrassment surrounding my less-than-stellar GPA, but seeing how supportive and non-judgmental people are here, I just had to muster up the courage and seek for advice. Thanks so much.

2nd undergrad!!! a MSc or work experience wont help you at all right now, drop physics and take it in the summer (will still count as a pre req but GPA wont count towards application), I personally think prep courses are useless, your GPA needs to be much, much higher if you want U of A so pick a second degree you can really do well in and take your difficult courses in the summer, GL.

Thank you for your suggestion. :) The thought of doing another UG scares me, and I'm particularly saddened that schools don't give more consideration to students who finish a health-science degree rather than a generic one where students get the option of GPA boosters (my degree also had 10 more credits than the usual 30-credit full load each year).

I am not limiting myself to U of A, but I'm guessing that if I ever do get a chance of getting in, I would have to try Alberta first since I am IP.

As for the MCAT, would it be a good idea to study for it this summer? If I take physics this summer I would be taking the 3-week fast tracked course from U of A and would pretty much have the whole summer to study (while working part-time.)

For the record, dental hygiene is not exactly a tough science degree to begin with so I would be careful knocking down other degrees.

Thank you for your suggestion. :) The thought of doing another UG scares me, and I'm particularly saddened that schools don't give more consideration to students who finish a health-science degree rather than a generic one where students get the option of GPA boosters (my degree also had 10 more credits than the usual 30-credit full load each year).

I am not limiting myself to U of A, but I'm guessing that if I ever do get a chance of getting in, I would have to try Alberta first since I am IP.

As for the MCAT, would it be a good idea to study for it this summer? If I take physics this summer I would be taking the 3-week fast tracked course from U of A and would pretty much have the whole summer to study (while working part-time.)

Hi,

With many other people, I also think that you should get your second UG. I know it's scary just thinking about it,,,, going through UG, midterms, finals and other determined-premeds much younger than you. But have faith.

Go and bother professor as much as you can and also if you take second UG you will get a chance to study/prep for MCAT as well. You have to write MCAT anyway, so why not think of it as a 8month-long prep for a year, try and write and see how it goes.

With better GPA and MCAT + Life experience + research, you might be given interview at McMaster, Queen's and UT :)

Best

If you do well this year and hold a 4.0, then you only need two more good years towards an UG to get in the zone.

Just to clarify, I still need to finish 4 years, right? Perhaps I would be able to condense it to 3 if I take the harder courses during spring/summer? I am reading the 2nd UG thread and I am a bit confused. If I do choose to pursue it, I will be taking my 2nd UG from U of A so I can stay home. Does that mean I have to retake all my pre-requisites again (during the 2nd UG?)

I know doing a second UG is not what you wanted to hear and I'm sure you were hoping that someone here would tell you that you'll be fine.

BUT - medical school is INCREDIBLY competitive to get into, I think many people just don't fully realize how much so. Have you checkout the accepted/rejected threads at the various universities? People with 3.9 GPA and 35+ MCATs are being rejected.

I spoke with a man who used to be on the adcom for Mac and he told me that the sad truth was that for every spot they have they will received 2 or 3 applications of perfect candidates. That means say there are a 100 spots they will have 200 people who would be perfect and but they have to make a choice and half of those people will be rejected.

I'm not trying to discourage you - but there are some things you NEED to do in order to be successful:

1. Figure out why your GPA was so low - a 2nd UG will only be beneficial if you get an amazing GPA.

2. You mentioned low confidence - people don't realize how important it is to be confident in this process. Figure this out because you need to be confident to get through the MCAT, interviews - and not to mention to be a good physician.

3. Decide how determined you are to do this. Because if you are only considering applying IP in Alberta thats really limiting yourself. Are you considering the US, Ireland, Australia etc? Is your desire to be a doctor so strong you would be ok with never returning to Canada (as the chances of getting a residency spot in Canada are very low for foreign med school graduates)?

This is important because otherwise you will just waste time (and money).

But, honestly, good luck to you. I know you are at the beginning of your journey and its the hardest part (actually, for me the MCAT is the hardest part, lol).

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your suggestions. :)

I have been thinking of doing my second undergrad in sociology/psychology, but I have taken most of the 1st and 2nd year courses in these subjects during my first undergrad. Do you get to start over (and re-take all those courses without penalty) during a second undergrad?

Also, I want to continue working part-time while at school to keep my practice license. Would it be detrimental to my application if I take only 3 classes per semester instead of 5? Thanks again.

Archived