Premed 101 Forums

Co-op

Guest snowpea

Guest snowpea

Hey,

I was just wondering how many people did/are doing co-op. I never really considered it before because I didn't want to waste a year, considering that med school will already be such a time investment. Plus, I have never been too keen on research. But as I think about it more, co-op might be good if I don't get in to med school (Ah! :eek ) What do you guys think?

Guest not rex morgan

Hey Snowpea. I didn't do co-op, but I did work in a lab as a tech for a year after I graduated. I have always shrunk away at the prospect of research, but I thought I'd use my degree after I graduated and was rejected from med school the first time I applied. Research was really interesting, granted I had great people in my lab. I really happy I have the experience. I don't plan on pursuing research, but I did gain a great appreciation for it. I don't think it's a waste of time, if you want to keep it open as an option.

Guest ricorod

I did a co-op biochemistry degree at U of Waterloo. It's different there in that I did 5 different 4-month work terms throughout my degree, instead of one long one. With respect to your post, I don't think that you would be "wasting" a year at all. It's true that medicine is a big time investment, but when you think about it, does it really matter if you are 32 or 33 when you start practicing? As for the program itself, I think it was great for me for a number of reason: I made some decent money (could have made more, but my first couple jobs were in university labs - good experience, low pay); I got to live in different cities; I got some good work experience; and perhaps most importantly, I learned that research and lab work is NOT for me!

I'm not sure what kind of program or school you're thinking of, but co-op jobs aren't always lab jobs. Even in science, I know people that got jobs with financial companies, and even in biotech or drug companies you can swing marketing or administrative-type jobs. And yes, all the work experience would definitely help if you (shudder) don't get into med school. I suppose I'm biased, but I would definitely recommend a co-op program if you're thinking about it.

good luck.

Archived