Premed 101 Forums

Little Board Cleanup

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Hi all,

I though I'd take advantage of the fact that this discussion board has been pretty quiet over the last few days (as it rightfully should be; you all should be out enjoying this weekend!). I've moved several old posts out of the General Discussions forum into more specific forums.

As a result, if you are clicking into those other forums, and find "new" posts that are actually dated from earlier this summer, that's the reason. The hope is that is you are trying to find specific information on a medical school, such as UBC, that you can find most of the information in that forum rather than spending time searching through the General Forum.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

I am a 52 old year woman. I have raised 6 children, 4 are in med shool or residencies. My husband is a doctor too. I always wanted to be a doctor, started to work toward it many times but then backed off in last 15 years. I am hard worker. and used be at the near top of my classes. My Q...

1]Am I crazy to still go through the difficult times for years if someone kindly gives me the admission in med school?

2} Is it possible for me to get admission in med school at this age?

3} Which med schools will be open to consider giving me a chance? which country?

Please give me your honest opinions, even if it is hard-hitting.

My marriage is almost over due to a variety of reasons , so I am free to spend my time as I wish.

Guest sarrlaepatracom

I am a 52 old year woman. I have raised 6 children, 4 are in med shool or residencies. My husband is a doctor too. I always wanted to be a doctor, started to work toward it many times but then backed off in last 15 years. I am hard worker. and used be at the near top of my classes. My Q...

1]Am I crazy to still go through the difficult times for years if someone kindly gives me the admission in med school?

2} Is it possible for me to get admission in med school at this age?

3} Which med schools will be open to consider giving me a chance? which country?

Please give me your honest opinions, even if it is hard-hitting.

My marriage is almost over due to a variety of reasons , so I am free to spend my time as I wish.

I don't have any helpful information to pass on (I'm asking questions, myself) but I had to take a moment to congratulate and encourage you.

I wish more people (women, especially) would give themsleves the respect and time they deserve to look into the things that really inspire their interest. I kind of imagine that you are going to get a few harsh responses (certain 22 year olds, etc, imaging that 52 is terribly old) but I hope you'll keep looking into it.

If it were up to me, I'd consider your having raised 6 (!!) children to be ample evidence of your ability to withstand pressure and persevere. In any case, you could end up being a "first" (there's always a first), or perhaps there are schools who actually recognize that med school is not 100% about how mich time a graduate has afterwards to make money and be a cog in the wheel.

Many med school websites have pages that are devoted to statistics re ages/grades, etc, of their recent students. You might want to start there. Here's a link to North American med school sites: www.library.dal.ca/~kello...delect.htm

and here are a couple of links re women in medicine:

www.amwa-doc.org/

and

www.mommd.com/

Good luck to you! You deserve to look under every stone, and push the envelope while you're at it.

P.S. - you'll get more responses if you re-post your comment as a "new topic" all of its own. Right now, it's kind of hidden in this administrative topic.

Guest Ian Wong

Hi,

This is a bit of an unusual thread in which to ask your questions, but it does mean that your message is staying closer to the top of the screen, where it is more likely to be read.

At present, I really can't comment on how likely you are to have a successful application. I can say that in the US, there are a number of medical school graduates in their 50's. However, in Canada, there are significantly fewer medical schools, and so there is a little less range and diversity of what constitutes an acceptable/ideal candidate when applying to medical school.

I think your best bet is to contact each medical school that you are interested in applying to, and not only ask them candidly about your chances, but also request any statistical information they have compiled over the past few years for accepted applicants. If that medical school doesn't have a track record of accepting many students in their 30's or 40's, then realistically, I think that you would have to conclude that as a 50+ applicant you are truly facing an uphill battle applying to that institution.

Another topic to mention is that at this point in Canadian healthcare, there is a current shortage of physicians, and there will be a dramatic shortage of physicians in the future, as the baby boom generation ensures that many older physicians will retire, and the aging population itself requires more health care services. For that reason alone, you may not have much chance on applying, if each medical school is intent on graduating more youthful doctors who theoretically will serve longer in the community.

I think it would take a very grounded and strong medical school and admissions committee to ignore the political pressure and to accept a 50+ candidate when that seat could be given to another applicant who is 20+. For that reason, I really can't comment on the likelihood that you will be successful. Personally, I'd love to have you as a colleague. I'm sure you'd bring a wealth of experience and background to your classmates. The only trouble is convincing the admissions committee that they should accept you. Contact then and find out where they stand.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 2 weeks later...

Archived