Premed 101 Forums

never too late????

Guest sara

I am a 52 old year woman. I have raised 6 children, 4 are in med shool or residencies. My husband is a doctor too. I always wanted to be a doctor, started to work toward it many times but then backed off during last 15 years. I am a hard worker. and used be at the near top of my classes. My Q...

1]Am I crazy to still go through the difficult times for years if someone kindly gives me the admission in med school?

2} Is it possible for me to get admission in med school at this age?

3} Which med schools will be open to consider giving me a chance? which country?

Please give me your honest opinions, even if it is hard-hitting.

My marriage is almost over due to a variety of reasons , so I am free to spend my time as I wish.

Guest ThUgJnMD

Wow...raising 6 children...my hat is certaintely off to you!

In terms of your medical aspirations, I must say that it is quite nice to hear from people that wish to follow their dreams. With that being said, at 52 years of age, you will face some difficulites:

- you will need to have the pre-reqs and also the MCAT (note below on this)

- med school will be around 3-4 years, adding on a 2-5 year residency, and you are looking at 53 (you cannot get in until next year) + 4 = 57 plus a residency. If you do 5 years, then you will be 62 before you start your job. Most people retire at age 65, so I guess this is probably not what you are looking at. Instead, if you opt for family practice then you will be done at age 60 with at least 5 years in front of you.

In terms of getting admittance, the most probable school for you is Mac, which historically favours older, more mature graduates, such as yourself. You will not be required to write the MCAT exam, and also will only do 3 years of meds as opposed to 4.

In terms of 'which country' will accept you, the Dominicon schools will accept almost anyone; no guarantees on a US residency though so cavet emptor.

It is possible to get admission, most likly at Mac, for yourself. You will need to convice them how a 52 year old will cope with the stress and physical demands as well as someone in their 20s, but having raised 6 kids I think you have enough to attest to your abilites in that regard.

Should you apply? Well that is really your decision. Economically, you will only have to wait until age 60 before you will be able to start your job. Given that, the medical schools might need some convincing that if you only serve 5 years to your community (age 65) then maybe they should opt for someone who will be able to provide longer for the community. If will not be easy; not many doctors start practice at age 60 and doing a residency at age 58 will be pretty difficult as well. Maybe some other health care profession that doesn't require such a long time before you can start work (ie - nursing/physio) would be better for you. But if you want to be a doctor, then you should do what you want to do.

Best of luck.

I totally agree with the last poster. I mean, what is the point of living if not to fulfill one's dreams?

If you've wanted to be a doctor for years, you probably won't stop wanting it. That means in 5 years you'll still wish you did it. In 10 years you'll still wish you did it. In 20 years you'll still be wishing. Why go through this agony? Stop wasting time and fill out those applications!

Let me put it this way--you'll never regret trying.

Archived