Premed 101 Forums

Best LOC?

It's called the no-fee Momentum card, and you really just have to push for it. If they don't give it to you, ask at another branch or at the branch closer to your school. It's the same cash back as yours as well.

On that note, I forgot to ask did anyone sign up for any of the insurances your bank tells you about? Like life insurance, disability, etc? My manager was saying how most people don't take it, but he has to offer it anyway. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Don't do it!! the representative I talked to said that we have insurance through the OMA that's free while we are medical students.... the only time you might want to look into this is when you start residency. I may be wrong but I'd rather get the free one for 4 years than start handing out money now, granted the policies and coverage might be different.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,87,00.html

That's 0.5%/1%, are you sure that's not the one you got?

Ugh, you just ruined my day. I don't have any documents that say exactly which type of card I got. But it seems like that's the one I ended up with. I was told various times that I had the 2%/1% but I didn't take any papers with me that indicated as such lol. Well they're mailing the card now so I'll let you know when I read the welcome letter. I'll go complain with the branch near my school if I have to.

Also, did anyone get an "adjustment factor" on your Scotia contracts? It's currently 0% but they say they might increase it if they have to.

I'm a dental student so I have to look into the CDA/ODA on whether they give the same coverage...I doubt it though.

Don't do it!! the representative I talked to said that we have insurance through the OMA that's free while we are medical students.... the only time you might want to look into this is when you start residency. I may be wrong but I'd rather get the free one for 4 years than start handing out money now, granted the policies and coverage might be different.

What about Quebec students? Did you guys take the insurance? My manager told me that if I get sick/depressed after grad they could help me paying the LOC

I'm from Quebec. I took the free CMA life insurance and that is it, i.e., I pay for no life ins, disability ins, etc.

future_doc, do you have any documentation about free CMA life insurance? I couldn't find anything about it on the website. For students in Quebec, the only insurance deal I could find was through "QMA Insurance" (Vigilis).

Thanks!

future_doc, do you have any documentation about free CMA life insurance? I couldn't find anything about it on the website. For students in Quebec, the only insurance deal I could find was through "QMA Insurance" (Vigilis).

Thanks!

CMA should be coming to talk to every school and will tell you everything. Wait for them, they'll explain everything. I had free insurance for one year. Sorry, I have no documentation.

Just to clarify, each provincial medical association offers insurance packages to suit your various needs. The CMA--through MD Physician Services--can serve as a conduit between you and your provincial association, and your MD advisor can work with you to determine which coverage options make sense for you in the various stages of your careers.

The CMA and your provincial medical association will be present at your medical school orientations and can address your situation directly. Depending on where you are located, MD and your provincial association may also be holding insurance and financial planning seminars throughout the academic year to explore these issues in depth. If you require immediate advice, you can e-mail mdadvice@cma.ca to contact someone who specializes in students in your region.

James@MD

Anyone have the contact for one of the fabled RBC agents who specialize in med students / know what's up? Shopping around and most RBC agents I've found just parrot the website and are new to these LOC's.

I am the Professional Student Advisor for Western Med Students at Scotiabank. I would be happy to meet with you to discuss what Scotiabank has to offer to help give you a comparison.

Please feel free to contact me.

Anyone have the contact for one of the fabled RBC agents who specialize in med students / know what's up? Shopping around and most RBC agents I've found just parrot the website and are new to these LOC's.

Yesss I have! She's super amazing and has been doing the Dal Med LOCs for years now. She's seen many students all the way through residency. She's in Halifax but I don't see why she couldn't help you out! PM me if you want her details!!

Was anyone able to get the Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite card (4%/2%/1% cash-back) when they opened up their LOC at Scotia?

Or what other credit cards did you choose at Scotia and why?

I asked about that one, but they said that you can only get that if you actually have 60k plus income. I ended up going with the momentum because I did the math with the Passport Gold Card, and based on the amount of points you can get and the amount various things cost, it works out better to go with even the no-fee momentum. I can't remember which Momentum I ended up with (either the middle or no-fee), but it works out better for me. I have an RBC Westjet MC too, which is what I use for everyday purchases (1% back in WJ travel dollars).

Take a look at all the card options, do some math (based on how often you think you'll use the card) and go from there. You might end up finding that the Scene Visa (or something else) is the best for you (yay free movies!:D)

Archived