Premed 101 Forums

Law School Application Perspective

Guest phattie

Guest phattie

I am also applying to law shool and I would like to share some experiences that highlight the similarities and differences.

In general, the academic minimums are lower, but, the accepted study body GPA and average are on only slightly below par with med schools. For example, at Toronto the entering average was 84. More importantly, admission committees will disect EVERY applicant's transcript. So, if you take a bunch of bird courses in upper years you are strongly suggested (i.e. forced, if you don't want to waste your money) to provide an explanation in your application. Also, if you are coming from a challenging program (e.g. Comp. Eng.) or taking extra courses you are not penalised, i.e. you are afforded extra consideration. Obviously, this is unlike most (all?) Canadian medical schools who are under the impression that Arts = Comp Eng., etc. I have nothing against arts...I just think that Comp Eng. is more demanding (BTW, I'm NOT in Comp Eng.).

ooops!...I have to go to class now...more later

I'm applying to law and meds too... I'm not sure exactly what constitutes having to "explain" yourself for taking bird courses... I'm doing a Hon.B.Sc... I took a 1st yr course in 3rd yr (my 6th, took 4 in 1st yr and 1 in 2nd), and I'm taking two 2nd yr courses this yr along with twp third yr and one 4th yr... is that considered "bird"?

Anyway, almost done the law apps... Can't wait for the LSAT scores to be released... on Sat. I'm hoping for a 170 =)

Guest phattie

I think I would be very happy in either career. If I am lucky enough to be able to choose I would probably choose medicine. However, if I get into law (and not medicine) I probably wouldn't appy to medicine after graduation.

Here is a quote from the Toronto section of the OLSAS 2002 Booklet:

...applicants may wish to outline in the

Personal Statement such things as...any anomalies in the academic record including false starts, fewer than five courses over two terms, and introductory courses taken in the third or fourth years of a program.

I'm not sure what this means either...but luckily it doesn't apply to me. I'm just glad that they are taking the time to scrutinize the transcript. Why can't (Canadian) medical schools do the same thing? There are roughly the same number of applicants...although, most law schools do not require an interview as part of the application process.

Most law schools also require you to write the LSAT...which is analogous to the MCAT in that it examines abilities that would help in a law education. One big difference is the cost factor - $96 US. It was also easier to study for since it only tests verbal reasoning and writing skills rather than strict knowledge, i.e. PS and BS sections. This was especially difficult for me because my program is not based around those concepts or courses. The minimum LSAT requirements can also be quite high (85th percentile minimum for UT) and most schools incorporate it into the final "admission score" of the applicant rather than using it strictly as a benchmark.

Another major difference is the acknowledgment and attempt to compensate for the varying social and economic challenges that applicants are exposed to. Here is an quote from the Toronto section of the LSAT Registration and Information Book 2001-2202 Canadian Edition:

...the decision making process is too complex to be represented by numbers alone since the faculty seeks students from various ethnic, racial, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds, from different regions of Canada...[these] factors may, in some cases, play an important role in the admissions decision if the applicant is otherwise competitive for admission.

There is also an entire applicant category that serves to increase the representation of individuals of Aboriginal birth in the Canadian legal community.

I believe that applicants to UOttawa are allowed to explain the hardships that you have faced. However, by ignoring the fact that so many social variables (e.g. sport participation, health, etc.) are positively related to social economic status most (Canadian) medical schools are doing a disservice to society. Since medical schools also look at extracurricular activities and other "life experiences" this can be especially difficult for the disadvantaged to fullfill. For those of you who will eventually enter medical school, take a close look at your class and ask youself if it is truly reflective of Canada.

Archived