Premed 101 Forums

What major?

Guest reahg

I am currently a third year psych major and I decided this last summer that I want to do pre-med. I'm just curious if anyone has any comments on what majors are desireable in terms of med school applications, and how does psych fit into the picture?

Guest Ian Wong

There's no one "desirable" major. There's people at UBC with degrees in English, Music, Linguistics, Chem, Math, Philosophy, etc. However, a science degree usually helps cover most med school pre-reqs (visit your med school's website to check on them premed101.com/medschools.html) and will help prepare you for the MCAT.

However, as with extra-currics, in the thread you posted in the UBC forum, do whatever major you want, and do it well. As long as you complete the pre-reqs for the med schools you are applying to, your major won't be the deciding factor in your application. I've included some of my other thoughts regarding majors here: premed101.com/undergrad.html#year2

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Fanconi

I was also a psych major (after being a music major :lol ), who decided during my junior year that I wanted to go to med school. I had to play a little catch-up, but everything worked out fine.

I'm now a third-year med student. I think med schools like to have some diversity in their classes. Not being a bio or chem major, etc. will definitely not hurt your chances. If anything, I think a psych major is helpful (but maybe I'm a little biased).

I honestly think that the key is to enjoy undergrad as much as possible. Take fun classes that interest you. Yes, you have to do a minimum number of science classes, but I don't think you have to go overboard with science to get into med school.

Archived