Premed 101 Forums

I-20 form and student visas

Hey, does anyone know if the I-20 form is school-specific?

That is, do we have to re-start the whole visa application process if in the midst of it all we choose to change schools?

Congrats on your acceptance!

I think it may be school specific since they are issued by the school themselves. Of course, I haven't done one yet so I don't now for sure lol.

Yeah, I just filled mine out and its definitely school specific.

Im hoping I can hold off on doing the US consular interview thing until mid-may so that I only have to do it once when I have a better idea of where I will be going.

Otherwise, I have just been getting extra copies of supporting docs just in case!

Congrats on your acceptance!

Thanks, congrats to you too!

Yeah, I just filled mine out and its definitely school specific.

Im hoping I can hold off on doing the US consular interview thing until mid-may so that I only have to do it once when I know where I am going (Im on waitlists).

ok I'm confused. I thought the interview is something you do after the online DS-160 application, for which you need the school-specific I-20. Wouldn't you have to redo the online app if you change schools after the interview? :confused: :confused:

ok I'm confused. I thought the interview is something you do after the online DS-160 application, for which you need the school-specific I-20. Wouldn't you have to redo the online app if you change schools after the interview? :confused: :confused:

EDIT: Sorry for the 20 re-edits if anyone has noticed

So your info has been better laid out then mine, but from what I can piece together for an F-1 visa you need to:

1. Get the I-20

2. Pay SEVIS fee, I-901

3. Book a US consular interview

My instruction manual doesn't say anything about the DS-160 so I have no comment on where that fits in.

If this is correct, my current plan is to wait on 2 & 3 until mid-may when we have a better idea where we stand at all schools we applied to.

EDIT: Sorry for the 20 re-edits if anyone has noticed

So your info has been better laid out then mine, but from what I can piece together for an F-1 visa you need to:

1. Get the I-20

2. Pay SEVIS fee, I-901

3. Book a US consular interview

My instruction manual doesn't say anything about the DS-160 so I have no comment on where that fits in.

If this is correct, my current plan is to wait on 2 & 3 until mid-may when we have a better idea where we stand at all schools we applied to.

well to my understanding, DS-160 application is the first thing you would fill out after receiving the I-20 from your school. Here's the link: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html#1

Scroll down to the section on 'Required Documentation' and you should see:

"Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160. Visit our DS-160 webpage to learn more about the DS-160 online process."

But the instruction manual that you refer to - was that sent from your school? Maybe the DS-160 thing is school-specific too and is not required by your school..? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

you dont need to book a counslor ..and pay for it

Just thought I'd make a thread to combine VISA information:

Canadian Citizens: Canadian citizens currently do not require an entry visa to enter the U.S. from Canada, but DO require an I-20. However, we recommend that you use a passport to enter the U.S. as it may be required for other purposes in the U.S., such as completing a form for employment on campus, or applying for a Social Security number. If you enter the U.S. from a country other than Canada, you are required to present a passport at the port of entry. Beginning December 31, 2006, all Canadian citizens entering the U.S. by air or sea will be required to show a passport to enter the United States. Effective December 31, 2007, a passport will be required for ALL entries to the U.S., including land borders.

To enter the U.S. in F-1 student status, Canadians DO require an I-20 and proof of payment of the SEVIS fee. To pay the SEVIS fee, go to http://www.fmjfee.com and follow the instructions. Be sure to make a copy of the receipt for your own records.

At the port of entry, Canadian students must present the Form I-20 and supporting financial documentation to the immigration inspector to be admitted into the U.S. in F-1 status. You will be given an I-94 Admission/Departure card to complete. Be sure to look at your I-94 card before you leave the inspection area to ensure that it has the notation "F-1, D/S" written on it. Canadian students must have an I-94 card to confirm current F-1 status. If not, you are considered to be in Visitor (B-2) status, a status which does not permit study in the U.S.

Some Canadians have mistakenly assumed that regulations that apply to international students do not apply to them. Students from Canada are subject to the same regulations regarding employment in the United States, requirement for full-time study and all other provisions for maintaining status. It is especially important for Canadian students to be vigilant about entering the United States in proper student status, as immigration inspectors are accustomed to admitting Canadian citizens as visitors."

Great website for VISA INFO (I-20):

http://www.premed101.com/forums/show...highlight=visa

Official statement from US Consular:

Canadian Citizens do not need visas to study in the U.S. You do need to obtain an I-20 (or DS-2019) Certificate of Eligibility from the university that you plan to attend. At the time you receive the I-20 (or DS-2019) you will be registered with SEVIS, the student tracking system. You will be assigned a SEVIS number, and be required to pay a $100 registration fee.

When you cross the border to study you will need to provide the Officer at the port of entry:

1. Proof of identity and citizenship (a Canadian passport for example)

2. The original I-20 (or DS-2019) certificate

3. Proof that you have paid your SEVIS fee

4. Proof that you have the funds to pay for the school that you plan to attend

5. Proof of your ties to Canada

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A VALID VISA IN AN EXPIRED PASSPORT, DO THE FOLLOWING:

I have a valid U.S. visa in my expired passport. How can I use it or do I need an appointment to transfer it to my new passport?

You may travel to the U.S. with both your new and expired passport, that contains your valid U.S. visa, if:

* both passports are in your hands when you travel;

* your name and nationality in your old and new passports, and your visa, are an exact match;

* your visa is unmutilated and unmarked.

U.S. law has no provision to “transfer” visas. If your old passport is no longer in your hands or your U.S. visa was mutilated, marked, whole punched or removed from your old passport, then you must apply for a new visa in the normal manner by appointment, paying any visa fees and qualifying anew. Do not physically remove your visa from your old passport and attempt to travel with it. Removing a visa from a passport renders it invalid.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder, can we just show them the financial document we showed to our school (to get the I20s) at the border, to meet the "supporting financial documents" requirement? And could pre-approved loans be used to meet this requirement?? And could pre-approved loans be used to meet this requirement?

Archived