Premed 101 Forums

Questions about U.S. visa and future work in U.S.

I am interested in going to american school and get a degree there

and so on..

Since I am a Canadian (internation to U.S.), do I get to stay there as long as I want? Am I allowed to practice medicine in U.S. like other american doctors do?

Can I possibly just get a u.s. citizenship or smt?

I am confused on this matter, and I dont have anyone to ask about this.

Thanks for your time :)

If you do a proper search of this site, this has been extensively covered:

Short version:

Non-US citizens going to med school in the US need an F-1 visa.

Non-US citizens going for residency need either a J1 or H1B visa

- J1 - once finished, you would be required to return to your home country for two years immediately after completion. Much easier to get than H1B

- H1B - requires application by an employer sponsor. Allows you to stay a little longer with potential to renew, potentially opens up the door to apply for permanent residency (green card). Annual limits to how many of these visas the country issues. Not very popular for residency programs to pursue.

Permanent Residency - requires sponsorship (ie. job, spouse). Not easy to secure.

Citizenship - hard to get, requires PR first

Like any other country, you can't just go there and expect to stay however long your want. You are in another country on a Visa (yes, Cdns going to the US are technically on visitor visas if not there for business), or have gained permanent residency. Then the types of visas come into play: you can't work if you don't have a work visa. Immigrating to the US is NOT easy without proper connections and support.

Archived