Premed 101 Forums

McGill Interview

From what I hear, once granted an interview, your acceptance heavily depends on the interview and everything else is essentially wiped off the table. However, on the website it says that they look at everything together (grades, personal statement...) to consider who they will admit. Does anyone know how heavy the interview weighs? Any tips for the interview? I understand it's a traditional interview... is much preparation needed/ how did you prepare? What do they look for? Dos/Don'ts?

Thanks in advance!

I remember asking some 1st year and 2nd year students, and they all said your marks matter minimally post-interview, though no sure of the actual percentage. I'd say the interview weighs anywhere from 70-90% of their decision.

You definitely need to prepare for the interview, and be ready to talk openly about what you included in your personal statement. Just be yourself on the interview, can't stress that enough. They split the 35 or so interviewees into 5 groups I think, and they take 5-7 OOP people in total, roughly twice that number for IP. So, you gotta be top 1-2 in your interview group to get in. I THINK that's how it works. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was told by the admissions office:

To get an interview:

60% grades

20% personal statement (abstract)

20% CV (highlights)

After the interview

80% interview

20% narrative (full length)

Hey is this true??

So they basically treat all competitive applicants(ppl who got the interview) the same way and their decision only depend on the applicant's interview ?

Also what is narrative ??

Okay thanks. Since that was a med-school link, I'm assuming the personal narrative in this case (dental school) is the personal statement.

Ya i think cogniva might be mixing up med and dent. They are two very separate faculties and do not share identical admissions formulae

Okay thanks. Since that was a med-school link, I'm assuming the personal narrative in this case (dental school) is the personal statement.

Sorry, I didn't notice which forum this was in! Yep, it's for med school. I would assume it's not exactly the same for dentistry.

Archived