Premed 101 Forums

"Academics"

I was wondering if anybody knows what is encompassed the “academic section” a component which determines our pre-interview score. Is it merely our GPA or wGPA (if applicable), or are there other subjective assessments that relate to academics such as scholarly activities (research and publications), upward trends in grades, etc?

Thanks

There are subjective components. I don't know about upward/downward trends, but scholarly factors (research, academic rigour, course load, program coherence, etc.) are definitely accounted for. GPA does serve as an initial cutoff, but they also look at what that GPA means afterwards.

It is pretty opaque as to what these components are, since they don't want people gaming the system. So pretty much, I wouldn't worry about it too much... just do your best.

There are subjective components. I don't know about upward/downward trends, but scholarly factors (research, academic rigour, course load, program coherence, etc.) are definitely accounted for. GPA does serve as an initial cutoff, but they also look at what that GPA means afterwards.

It is pretty opaque as to what these components are, since they don't want people gaming the system. So pretty much, I wouldn't worry about it too much... just do your best.

They may account for these factors, but your GPA is what truly matters. They don't care what you do or where you do it (contrary to the US, where GPA modifiers are used depending on your UG institution), as long as you have a high level of success doing it.

As in GPA is not by far the most important part?

I'd say GPA still is by far the most important part. It gets you past the cut-off. Past that, though, they do a subjective evaluation that can probably boost your academic score depending on what they see (how many courses taken at one time, course selection, coherence, etc.)

Basically, your GPA does NOT directly translate into your academic review score.

Does U of T re-evaluate your academic and non-academic scores post-interview? Or do they simply add your interview score to your pre-interview score to get a rank list?

As far as I know, they don't re-evaluate your file post-interview. That would be way too labour-intensive.

To be more exact, GPA is #1 in determining your academic score. Likely, the only way they assess program rigour is very broad: like life sci vs. engineering. This explains the overrepresentation of engineers and the underrepresentation of students from UofT's life sci programs.

Research productivity is also huge. Having a paper or two will make up for a crappy GPA.

Archived