Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa U Health Sci as Second Undergrad? + MCAT Changes 2015

Hi all,

I've been reading about MCAT changes coming up, anyone care to share them?

Also, for those of you familiar with Ottawa U, I am thinking of returning in September to do a second undergrad in health sciences. But I need a 3.9+ so I can apply to meds eventually. For reference, I have a 3.0 in my first BScH. in environmental science (massive fail first two years, about 3.5/3.6 last two), and about a 3.85 in my MA which I'm almost done.

ANY advice on Ottawa U's programs, and this strategy for my 'second undergrad' would be so helpful. It sucks there are no Canadian post-bacc programs!

• 2 months later...

In2013/2014, to my knowledge they are just getting rid of the writing sample portion of the MCAT. In 2015, it is changing completely to encompass more material and will have four sections. Bio/Biochem, Psych/Soc/Behaviour, Chem/Phys, and Critical Thinking.

hi

i think i got u wrong

u mean they dont require mcat for admission to medical school?

sorry i was just searching on Google, came to this thread

http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/omsas-mcat/

The university of Ottawa does not, and I believe NOSM doesn't require it but looks at it. Don't know if that one has changed.

All other schools require the MCAT to my knowledge. Both Ottawa and NOSM are particularly difficult to get into as Ottawa has very high GPA cutoffs, and NOSM requires a rural/remote/northern connection.

The university of Ottawa does not, and I believe NOSM doesn't require it but looks at it. Don't know if that one has changed. Both Ottawa and NOSM are particularly difficult to get into as Ottawa has very high GPA cutoffs, and NOSM requires a rural/remote/northern connection.

Correct: NOSM doesnt require it, Incorrect: NOSM looks at it.

The MCAT has not been validated with Aboriginal and francophone populations and also disadvantages individuals in the North due to less access to on-site MCAT prep courses that are readily available in Southern Ontario and urban areas. This is there reasoning for not using the MCAT and/or looking at it, which comes directly from their LMCC report submission.

Beef

Correct: NOSM doesnt require it, Incorrect: NOSM looks at it.

The MCAT has not been validated with Aboriginal and francophone populations and also disadvantages individuals in the North due to less access to on-site MCAT prep courses that are readily available in Southern Ontario and urban areas. This is there reasoning for not using the MCAT and/or looking at it, which comes directly from their LMCC report submission.

Beef

Thank you. I'd heard from others that it was considered, but rumours do have a tendency to persist! The clarification is appreciated.

Archived