Premed 101 Forums

Wild MMI questions?

marcel

MMIs are supposed to be unpredictable. As for wild, I didn't encounter anything inappropriate or unprofessional.

fantastic response to questions that weren't asked...maybe you should direct these unnecessary comments to the lounge where anything goes.

Also, I completely disagree with your statement that MMIs are unpredictable. if you properly prepare and know what you're getting yourself in for, only 10-20% of questions should be uncomfortable.

fantastic response to questions that weren't asked...maybe you should direct these unnecessary comments to the lounge where anything goes.

Also, I completely disagree with your statement that MMIs are unpredictable. if you properly prepare and know what you're getting yourself in for, only 10-20% of questions should be uncomfortable.

If you completely disagree that MMIs are unpredictable why are you asking if anyone had any unpredictable questions?

No need to be rude.

Keep up the attitude, they'll love that in the MMI.

If you completely disagree that MMIs are unpredictable why are you asking if anyone had any unpredictable questions?

No need to be rude.

They are predictable but everything is relative. Curve-balls do occur and those are the examples I am interested in hearing about.

Keep up the attitude, they'll love that in the MMI.

I just don't get why certain people on these forums feel the need to post on every and any thread. I'm not sure if it's a cultural/altruistic thing where individuals feel the need to help everyone so much that they actually do them a dis-service by cluttering threats and irritating those looking for answers to their original questions.

This is not to say that certain people offer exceptionally insightful information that is very pertinent...unfortunately, this wasn't one of them.

Yes. And as long as you are adaptable, a quick and ethical thinker and problem solver, a good communicator, preparation is not required per se.

I completely agree with you Future Doc but I think we'd both agree that there are certain things which need to be 'learned' and practiced to facilitate the experience.

cherrio

I completely agree with you Future Doc but I think we'd both agree that there are certain things which need to be 'learned' and practiced to facilitate the experience.

Not really. I did zero prep leading up to the MMI, I had prepared my entire life, I was flexible, totally spontaneous, I certainly could not have dreamed of the stations I encountered. I went in to have fun and did.

What I learned to prepare for the MMI came from my life experiences that enhanced my communication skills and thinking on my feet under pressure. These life experiences have prepared my for life but I did not have them to facilitate the experience of a MMI. However, I do agree that each of us are unique with our own strengths and weaknesses. And some of us will benefit from some mock MMIs without doing over prep.

Not really. I did zero prep leading up to the MMI, I had prepared my entire life, I was flexible, totally spontaneous, I certainly could not have dreamed of the stations I encountered. I went in to have fun and did.

What I learned to prepare for the MMI came from my life experiences that enhanced my communication skills and thinking on my feet under pressure. These life experiences have prepared my for life but I did not have them to facilitate the experience of a MMI. However, I do agree that each of us are unique with our own strengths and weaknesses. And some of us will benefit from some mock MMIs without doing over prep.

I think you are just well-versed in MMI. I know personally, practice helped ALOT. the whole concept of reading for 2 minutes and thinking about ~5-6 minutes to talk about was foreign to me, but some people (ie IB) may have experience with this. Practicing also also establishes a framework to tackle the problem. Without that you might tend to ramble. For me, this whole concept was foreign so I had to practice. It would be foolish to not practice, unless you were 100% sure of yourself, and have experience with speaking/debating under pressure.

I practiced quite a bit for the MMI too myself and found the practice to be extremely helpful in term of getting used to the structure (i.e. reading and thinking for 2 minutes and being able to come up with enough stuff to talk about for 6 minutes). However, most of the questions I encountered on MMI are quite random and would be nearly impossible to predict prior to entering into the interview. I think what future doc said is very accurate. You prepared for MMI through life experience. Join a debate club, Toastmasters International (check it out if you don't know what that is), or any other activities that develops your communication skills. Furthermore, MMI is a test of personality and character. That means it brings out the good and the bad in a person "to an extent". So start practicing being sincere and nice to people around you today. That will help you to make it more natural to appear empathetic and caring on the interview day and probably will help you lots during your practice to establish rapport with patients. Being nice will also help you in every day life as people around you will like you more and thus grant you more opportunities (jobs, friendship, relationship and so on). :)

Back to the OP's question, I think what I was trying to get at is that the exact questions that come up during MMI are not something to be predicted. However, the general approach to solving MMI (i.e. dilemma related to ethics, public policies; situations requiring creativity; situations requiring demonstration of empathy and altruism...) can be "learnt" through life. Medical schools are not setting up MMI to "screw" with their future class by throwing curve balls that serve no purpose, thus nothing unprofessional or "wild" is likely to come up. Every question in MMI serves a purpose. Most of the time it may not be obvious. The key is to inform yourself with news related to medicine, and to learn to talk to a stranger in a nice and interesting way, to be able to demonstrate empathy and altruism (usually faking it would be hard). If you got all those (I might have missed a couple more points), then just join a practice MMI group to get familiar with the format and answer honestly on the actual interview day. That's what I did.:)

People don't realize this.... but there is no mandate that requires you to talk for 6 minutes. Often, the most concise answers are most coherent and organized. And they have prompting questions that provide you with direction as to what they want you to talk about. It saves you the trouble of going down arbitrary paths to fill the time.

Confidence and conciseness is refreshing to examiners in an environment where interviewees are tightly wound and have verbal diarrhea.

I practiced quite a bit for the MMI too myself and found the practice to be extremely helpful in term of getting used to the structure (i.e. reading and thinking for 2 minutes and being able to come up with enough stuff to talk about for 6 minutes). However, most of the questions I encountered on MMI are quite random and would be nearly impossible to predict prior to entering into the interview. I think what future doc said is very accurate. You prepared for MMI through life experience. Join a debate club, Toastmasters International (check it out if you don't know what that is), or any other activities that develops your communication skills. Furthermore, MMI is a test of personality and character. That means it brings out the good and the bad in a person "to an extent". So start practicing being sincere and nice to people around you today. That will help you to make it more natural to appear empathetic and caring on the interview day and probably will help you lots during your practice to establish rapport with patients. Being nice will also help you in every day life as people around you will like you more and thus grant you more opportunities (jobs, friendship, relationship and so on). :)

Back to the OP's question, I think what I was trying to get at is that the exact questions that come up during MMI are not something to be predicted. However, the general approach to solving MMI (i.e. dilemma related to ethics, public policies; situations requiring creativity; situations requiring demonstration of empathy and altruism...) can be "learnt" through life. Medical schools are not setting up MMI to "screw" with their future class by throwing curve balls that serve no purpose, thus nothing unprofessional or "wild" is likely to come up. Every question in MMI serves a purpose. Most of the time it may not be obvious. The key is to inform yourself with news related to medicine, and to learn to talk to a stranger in a nice and interesting way, to be able to demonstrate empathy and altruism (usually faking it would be hard). If you got all those (I might have missed a couple more points), then just join a practice MMI group to get familiar with the format and answer honestly on the actual interview day. That's what I did.:)

well said! :)

• 1 month later...
We are one of the most competitive supplier for varieties of caps and hats wholesale in China. Many cheap mlb hats and nhl hats wholesale on our site with fantastic quality. All kinds of styles for you including cheap snapback hats wholesale and also

snapback cap wholesale, they are really the biggest bargins for you.

Thanks I was just looking for a cheap hat. It'll be sunny in Baltimore.

Archived