Premed 101 Forums

"U of S College of Medicine dealing with accreditation concerns"

Saw that on the news yesterday. I believe it's not the first time but they did manage to sort it out before, so am sure they'll sort it out again.

I'm sure the province will step in if they can't get it resolved. Thinking external consultants et al. I can't imagine Saskatchewan will want to lose their medical school!

Could someone explain this to me (more clearly...) Can't seem to comprehend the article (and I agree it is one-sided) :(

So, what I'm getting out of it is:

-Increased number of seats for Medicine & allocating students to different sites, will result in a sub-par quality of education being given?

-If quality of education is deemed below the standard, then there is the possibility of probation... (WHAT THE HECK IS PROBATION?)

Anyone (that is knowledgeable on this topic) care to reply???

First things first, a warning of probation is different than being on probation. I wrote a reply to this in the other forum but I will copy it here as well since I think it might be a bit of a sore point for current applicants. For those that are seriously concerned about it, please read the attached documents on the article and you can see for yourself what the issues are.

As a current U of S student, I would like to mention how one sided this article is. We were actually told about this issue back in July/August and nothing was "kept from us", although the College could have chosen to do so if it wished. Instead, in the aim of transparency, we were informed and given all communications immediately.

As well, the issues brought up are quite minor and have very little to do with the education itself. Concerns were more related to lack of study space for the Regina campus and issues with students logging their hours in JURSI, etc. The College has identified how these issues will be dealt with and there is a time period that they have to implement them.

Lastly, warnings of probation are not uncommon amongst other schools. I have no idea why this came out to the media now. This whole thing is quite after the fact.

I am proud to be a student at my College and always will be. The U of S is known for producing competent and clinically skilled graduates. I admit that there are some problems at the U of S in terms of growing a little too fast but for the most part, I have no complaints. Everywhere will have its pros and cons.

You don't know what you're talking about..... and this is coming from a 4th year.

Take a warning from a soon to be graduate, there are serious problems with this school. There is little transparency in the system.... there are even Clinical Clerks (JURSI's) in my class who have *gasp* transferred from Polish medical schools.

The college opened up some residency spots to first round applicants without even seeking input from the students. After the student body found out and made complaints about this..... they went ahead anyways. By the way, there were Sask Grads wanting to stay in Sask who lost out because of this.

I won't even get into the lack of clinical faculty or how they are forcing non-academics into academic positions even further comprimising the quality of education. Have fun in your Neurology small groups of 18-20 people and PM&R groups of 10-12 (you're not even that far into your education to have experienced this). You will be on rotations with 10 other medical students at times but don't worry you'll be able to slack off massively since they cannot find the staff to teach you (or they'll put 5 med students together in an OR).

This school cannot handle 100 students. They can barely handle 84. Now I know everyone is obsessed with getting into medicine here but you should place some regard into the quality of education you get....... or you'll end up with no residency spot like 10% of this graduating class.

Good Luck

As a current U of S student, I would like to mention how one sided this article is.
1+

Lastly, warnings of probation are not uncommon amongst other schools. I have no idea why this came out to the media now. This whole thing is quite after the fact.
Excuse my ignorance, but I have never heard of any other medical school being given the probation warning, at least not in news. This issue is outlined in news perhaps because there is only one medical school in the whole province, so it serves as an integral part of university.

Take a warning from a soon to be graduate, there are serious problems with this school. There is little transparency in the system.... there are even Clinical Clerks (JURSI's) in my class who have *gasp* transferred from Polish medical schools.

Good Luck

I really enjoyed reading your critique.

Could someone explain this to me (more clearly...) Can't seem to comprehend the article (and I agree it is one-sided) :(

So, what I'm getting out of it is:

-Increased number of seats for Medicine & allocating students to different sites, will result in a sub-par quality of education being given?

-If quality of education is deemed below the standard, then there is the possibility of probation... (WHAT THE HECK IS PROBATION?)

Anyone (that is knowledgeable on this topic) care to reply???

I believe College of Medicine might have been given this probation warning for not having ‘satisfactory progress’. I read it somewhere the dean of college, Dr. William Albritton said that College of Medicine was found to be weak in 10 standards out of 130, I believe, and “the weaknesses were that our faculty didn't provide timely feedback to the students. You're expected to do this within a couple of weeks of the ending of the rotation”. But other than that, I am not too sure about this either.

I'm not under the impression that being put on probation would necessarily indicate serious underlying problems, but it could. Regardless of how serious it is, the UofS might as take this as reason to improve whatever it can. Keep in mind that when the LCME threatened probation to the UofA, the UofA was already scoring 2nd or third on the MCC exam and yet, whether or not because of the changes that year, UofA students have recently been getting the highest average scores. Heck even stanford was threatened probation by the LCME. Not sure what differences in accreditation methods might exist between the LCME and the candadian review board though.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally think it's a horrible move to include IMG's into the clerkship program for most if not all Canadian med schools. UNLESS they expand learning facilities, it's going to make for a terrible learning experience for the CMG's who already don't have a lot of opportunity on some rotations. From talking to friends in other schools, there are certainly times when there's just way too many learners. Now imagine adding way more people. It's not realistic to be able to give adequate learning opportunities for everyone. Already, I've had bad experiences on electives because of WAY too many students.

It's nice for the government/school to make money, but maybe not so great in the long term in terms of compromising medical education.

Archived