Premed 101 Forums

Summer Research Camp (at Weizmann Institute, in Israel)

Andromeda

So just for some background, the Weizmann Institue is a research university in Israel. It's actually been named the top international institute in the world for academia according to http://www.the-scientist.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Best-Places-To-Work-Academia2011.pdf ... with the highest number of citations per paper produced.

Anyways, getting to the gist of all this, some research on the school led me to info on its "International Summer Science Institute": a camp that features research from 8-5 with the help of the school's researchers as well as typical camp stuff like social activities in the evening.

But it's a camp, and I have to pay for it. My question is: can such a thing be presented as an extra-curricular on med school applications? It's a not a very orthodox way of your getting research hours, obviously. Thanks in advance.

I went to the Weizmann after Grade 12 to the Dr. Bessie F. Lawrence summer Institute. It was a transformative experience. It has opened so many doors it is unbelievable; research positions after first year , tons of offers from profs in second year during the year. I have had my choice! The common factor everyone has commented on is how well regarded the Weizmann is and how lucky I was to have the opportunity.

I went to the Weizmann after Grade 12 to the Dr. Bessie F. Lawrence summer Institute. It was a transformative experience. It has opened so many doors it is unbelievable; research positions after first year , tons of offers from profs in second year during the year. I have had my choice! The common factor everyone has commented on is how well regarded the Weizmann is and how lucky I was to have the opportunity.

Wow. That's great to hear! Another question: do you know how much it costs? I've searched high on low on the website and it mentions doesn't even mention pricing.

For the program after Grade 12 it costs nothing except for spending money. All 6 of us from Canada in my year were on full scholaships sponsored by different people through the Weizmann. We got the family names when we came back and wrote our thank you letters. I am actually thinking about applying for their undergrad program next year. FYI, the Weizmann does not have an undergrad student population; they only have Masters and PhD programs. We were told that if we want to come and do grad studies at the Weizmann we have a very serious leg up in being accepted.I believe that the summer university program is also a scholarship based progam. If you can get into it, grab the chance. Everyone I know who has gone has had an unbelievable experience.

The programs are not only for Jewish students. In the grade 12 ISSI program, about one third of the 75 students were Jewish, the rest were a mix of everything. We represented 20 countries. My lab mates were from Switzerland and Brazil. my roommates from the US, korea and England.

The interview was very general, but extremely intimidating on everything. Every aspect of my life was questioned. Why I chose this course and not that course, about all of my EC's etc. Every answer was questioned and I really had to stand up for my answers,the interviewer was a who's who internationally in his field. I came out in tears. It was unbelievably difficult and I NEVER have that reaction. I was shocked when I found out that I was selected. My fellow Cdn's in the program are studying at McGill, Harvard, MIT and other schools.Almost all of the Americans are at the Ivy Leagues. The British students, every one of them are at Cambridge or Oxford. It was an unbelievable cohort, and interestingly enough, I don't think there was more that 2 or 3 geeks out of 75. We were just all regular guys that were solid all around students. I will say, that everyone was probably in the top 2 percent in their country(SAT standardized testing in other countries etc.)Some students had to write a placement test in their country for acceptance.Remember, this was for the Dr. BEssie F. LAwrence Gr. 12 program, which was 2 years ago for me.

• 1 month later...
For the program after Grade 12 it costs nothing except for spending money. All 6 of us from Canada in my year were on full scholaships sponsored by different people through the Weizmann. We got the family names when we came back and wrote our thank you letters. I am actually thinking about applying for their undergrad program next year. FYI, the Weizmann does not have an undergrad student population; they only have Masters and PhD programs. We were told that if we want to come and do grad studies at the Weizmann we have a very serious leg up in being accepted.I believe that the summer university program is also a scholarship based progam. If you can get into it, grab the chance. Everyone I know who has gone has had an unbelievable experience.

The programs are not only for Jewish students. In the grade 12 ISSI program, about one third of the 75 students were Jewish, the rest were a mix of everything. We represented 20 countries. My lab mates were from Switzerland and Brazil. my roommates from the US, korea and England.

Alright, officially creepy. I went on ISSI a few years back, had roommates from the US, South Korea, and England, and had 2 lab partners - a Brazilian guy and a lovely Swiss girl. I'm seriously not trolling...the only difference is that there were 7 Canadians in my year. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES?

Archived