Premed 101 Forums

Chances post-interview

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to figure out what the chances of getting accepted (at some point, either initially or off of the waitlist) are after an interview. Are there any numbers on how many offers are made in total to people? What kind of waitlist movement there is? How many people are actually interviewed?

Thanks!

I had a couple of questions regarding this stuff as well:

1 - Do the interviewers mark you right then and there after your MMI and those are the scores that go on to be added and decide your 70% MMI score, or do they review these sheets later and make changes? That is, is every interviewer independent or is there some level of group interaction also?

2 - When/how do reference letters get considered? Is it post-interview or was it pre-interview?

Thank you!

They mark you within the 2 minutes, but then your stations are lumped together to see if they are consistent. Or so I've heard.

I've also heard that ref letters are only considered in the event of a "tie" ... but who knows.

In terms of stats, 213 out of 550 ~ 39% ... and then I'd guesstimate a 30-40 person move on the waitlist (generous?) so ~45%?

Sounds about right with the 30- 40 spots. There is a document out there saying it was around 50 or 60 a few years ago, but that has likely decreased as has CASPer increased the variety in the interview pool and Mac tends to weigh things differently than other school. This leads to fewer people with multiple acceptances

Sounds about right with the 30- 40 spots. There is a document out there saying it was around 50 or 60 a few years ago, but that has likely decreased as has CASPer increased the variety in the interview pool and Mac tends to weigh things differently than other school. This leads to fewer people with multiple acceptances

That their weighting leads to fewer people with multiple acceptances is a speculative statement, yes? Or is this based on something you have read?

Speculative, but it makes sense doesn't it? If other schools focus on academics, and Mac de-emphasizes academics with CASPer, then the acceptance pools will diverge.

I would imagine that people that do well on CASPer probably do well with GPA as well (there is bound to be a correlation with intelligence as the confounder).

This is verified by the statistics of the entering class posted on the Mac website--most people that get in have high verbal (>10) and high GPA (3.9-4.0). This is probably the same applicant pool that gets into u of t.

I would imagine that people that do well on CASPer probably do well with GPA as well (there is bound to be a correlation with intelligence as the confounder).

This is verified by the statistics of the entering class posted on the Mac website--most people that get in have high verbal (>10) and high GPA (3.9-4.0). This is probably the same applicant pool that gets into u of t.

I would argue that CASPer scores are only related to intelligence, which is only loosely related to GPA. GPA is more a measure of sustained hard work. Almost everything in admissions will have some correlation, but de-emphasizing GPA in favor of CASPer diversifies the interview pool compared to the other Ontario schools, even if CASPer scores are slightly correlated to GPA.

The average GPA was 3.75 last year, and only approx 25% of the class had above a 3.9. This is far lower than the UT, Ottawa or Queens averages. At UT a solid applicant needs only an 8 in VR, to continue past the screen, and it will have no further effect, whereas at Ottawa VR will have no bearing. The fact that verbal is only considered does mean that the interview pool will be similar to UWO (where verbal is the kicker for many), but at UWO there is no assessment of 'intangibles' until after the interview, unlike Mac.

Only speculation I confess, but Mac's formula is suspected to have become divergent from the other school's over the past years with CASPer and large interview weight. That should produce less multiple acceptances.

I'm not entirely convinced by this. I'd say that yes, the heavy weight of casper would change the types of people who are accepted for interviews at mcmaster vs other schools (eg western), since it assesses personal characteristics before the interviewers even get to see us.

however, in the end, you can't get into medical school without having a personality and some critical thinking skills - this is what is assessed at both MMI and traditional interviews. i think that for this reason the people who get acceptances at mac won't be significantly different from those who get accepted at other schools. the only difference between the two are the applicant pools accepted to interview

I'm not entirely convinced by this. I'd say that yes, the heavy weight of casper would change the types of people who are accepted for interviews at mcmaster vs other schools (eg western), since it assesses personal characteristics before the interviewers even get to see us.

however, in the end, you can't get into medical school without having a personality and some critical thinking skills - this is what is assessed at both MMI and traditional interviews. i think that for this reason the people who get acceptances at mac won't be significantly different from those who get accepted at other schools. the only difference between the two are the applicant pools accepted to interview

Casper demonstrates critical thinking skills with scenarios you cannot prepare for under time constraints. Someone with a 4.0 GPA can do poorly as Casper whereas someone you would think in non-competitve in terms of GPA could kill Casper. Therefore, Casper adds an important element in terms of exclusion or inclusion prior to selecting interviewees. I would expect someone who does well @ Casper to ace the MMI, regardless of GPA. And these are the exact type of applicants Mac is seeking.

Thankfully, each med school has their own unique recipe so there is a fit for a range of applicants across Canada.

Casper demonstrates critical thinking skills with scenarios you cannot prepare for under time constraints. Someone with a 4.0 GPA can do poorly as Casper whereas someone you would think in non-competitve in terms of GPA could kill Casper. Therefore, Casper adds an important element in terms of exclusion or inclusion prior to selecting interviewees. I would expect someone who does well @ Casper to ace the MMI, regardless of GPA. And these are the exact type of applicants Mac is seeking.

Thankfully, each med school has their own unique recipe so there is a fit for a range of applicants across Canada.

with the caveat that the person's verbal skills are equally proficient to typing skills. I was quite comfortable with casper, but far less comfortable with MMI. Talking is alot different than typing ideas out.

Archived