Premed 101 Forums

Advanatages and Disadvantages

People are proud of their schools, and have hate ons for schools they weren't accepted at or dislike. When you have been hanging around these boards for a few years you see the same fights and stuff repeating themselves over and over again, you get jaded, then sometimes you act like a ****.

Anyway, I think I am getting a better picture of what you are after. Some people will tell you it is a waste of time cause you will only get one acceptance if you are lucky, I had to choose between 3 schools and I am sure many others have had to as well. Others (myself included) will tell you that you will never get a true perspective. Mine is from a mature student standpoint, the younger guys will tell you a totally different story, unless you are here I don't think you can ever really know. The questions I would be asking are 1) 3 or 4 years am I prone to burn out 2) location, this is the big one because as many on here say, all Canadian undergrad are about the same caliber 3) When do I get into clinic and how much patient time do I get. This will vary and may or may not be important to you.

GL

There's also: learning style: PBL vs regular.

Thank you, Para. I appreciate hearing negatives as well as positives about schools. It turns into a pissing match when people claim that their preceptors say their school produces more competent clerks in comparison to x school. I hope that this thread doesn't go there. For any of you at U of A in clerkship, how much hands on do you feel like you get during clerkship?

For all intents and purposes problem based learning = small group (SG) = discovery learning (DL). It is usually done over the course of a few days in a week in small groups (8-10) supervised by a doctor (may or may not be a clinician depending on school). Students go through a case, identify learning objectives, and then teach each other on the way to solving the case. The idea is that you learn more by doing than just hearing. Most schools use it to some degree during preclerkship in one form or another. Some people love it, some hate it.

Chalk me up to hating it. I think it's a terrible way to teach people basic medicine when they have no background.

Chalk me up to hating it. I think it's a terrible way to teach people basic medicine when they have no background.

But I mean, it must work right? If it didn't, how would the med school get away with teaching in that manner? And they switched from a non PBL system to a PBL system, so there must be some reason/evidence to believe it is effective?

But I mean, it must work right? If it didn't, how would the med school get away with teaching in that manner? And they switched from a non PBL system to a PBL system, so there must be some reason/evidence to believe it is effective?

UdeM gives a prep year. At Sherbrooke, the first semester is biology-oriented.

so there must be some reason/evidence to believe it is effective?

If there was evidence to support Problem Based Learning or Case Based Learning it'd be tough for an evidence-based profession not to apply the superior style uniformly across the country.

So no, I'm not aware of any evidence. I've informally asked a preceptor about this matter and they suggested that sometimes curriculums are changed just for the sake of change.

Archived