Premed 101 Forums

Transferring from UofT to SFU

Hey there!

I have quite a dilemma on my hands. Due to circumstances beyond my control, my family is moving to BC and I might have to go to school there.

UBC is pretty competitive to get into and the application deadline is already passed so I have resorted to SFU.

Does anyone have any info on SFU, is it a good school, will they give me transfer credit (i am currently finishing first year at u of t), and most of all IS THERE ANY CHANCE TO GET INTO MEDSCHOOL IF I GO TO SFU?

Please le me know what you guys think and what you would do if you were in my shoes, stay in toronto without family and pay for res or move to BC and attend SFU.

Are there any other universities in vancouver that you recommend?

Thanks!

Hey there!

I have quite a dilemma on my hands. Due to circumstances beyond my control, my family is moving to BC and I might have to go to school there.

UBC is pretty competitive to get into and the application deadline is already passed so I have resorted to SFU.

Does anyone have any info on SFU, is it a good school, will they give me transfer credit (i am currently finishing first year at u of t), and most of all IS THERE ANY CHANCE TO GET INTO MEDSCHOOL IF I GO TO SFU?

Please le me know what you guys think and what you would do if you were in my shoes, stay in toronto without family and pay for res or move to BC and attend SFU.

Are there any other universities in vancouver that you recommend?

Thanks!

SFUer here :)

There's certainly a chance - no less than any other school. Our campus is more college-like than a typical university campus, being much more compact that UofT. In my experience I've found our courses and instructors to be of high quality, and because we're a smaller university, (anecdotally) I've found that opportunities like NSERC USRAs are less competitive to obtain. SFU also has a very strong co-op program (which has been running for decades), and SFU's trimester system offers greater flexibility in choosing courses than UBC's two semester + intersession system.

Typical complaints associated with SFU are:

• Lack of campus life (largely a commuter campus)
  • Older architecture is dreary
  • Lack of on-campus student space
  • UBC inferiority complex (laugh now, but it's a real thing!)

In terms of grading, firstly, if you're in a quantitative field (science or applied science), you'll find our courses tend to be marked on a curve. I've found that this is a good thing, but YMMV. Secondly, be aware of GPA conversions - we are on a 4.33 GPA scale, so educate yourself on the OMSAS and UBC conversion schemes. With UBC's new scale I think it's pretty fair, but again, YMMV.

The other mainstream choice would be UBC. Much, much larger undergraduate population, 1:1 conversion for UBC MED admissions. I'd say that the teaching quality is similar (as with most Canadian universities) but there is a large breadth of research at UBC, which is logical due to its size difference. Greater campus life, in terms of extracurricular activities (UBC Rec organizes some amazing events!). UBC uses a % scale rather than a grade point system, so again, watch how your grades are converted on the OMSAS scale. Other universities in the Metro Van region are colleges that have recently been accredited as universities - Kwantlen, Capilano. Moving outside the Metro Van region opens up options like the University of the Fraser Valley and the University of Victoria, but if you're going to move out there you probably may as well stay at UofT.

Depending on where you're moving to in Metro Van, either can be a pain to transit to. From my place, SFU is a 20 minute transit ride, whereas UBC would be 1.5 hours... this is a big consideration. UBC is on a peninsula... SFU is on top of a mountain.

For your transfer credits, I doubt you'll have much of a problem as first year courses don't differ that much between schools, but talk to an advisor about that, not PM101!

:) Welcome to Vancouver, should you choose to make that choice! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Archived