Premed 101 Forums

Nursing at UofT

kdp

Hey there :)

I was just wondering what you guys have heard about the 2nd entry nursing program at UofT? How time intensive it is, what's the program comprise of, is it easy to maintain a good GPA, etc. Also I was wondering if anyone got accepted yet?

I was just wondering what you guys have heard about the 2nd entry nursing program at UofT? How time intensive it is, what's the program comprise of, is it easy to maintain a good GPA, etc. Also I was wondering if anyone got accepted yet?

hi there kdp

I also applied to UofT and have some similar questions. I have been accepted and am waiting for my package to come in the mail - I was accepted a week ago on Friday March 23.

Ive heard it is fairly time intensive but has good practical experience. As for the gpa - not quite sure how comparable to undergrad it will be.

Hey, I got accepted too, and am waiting for my package as well. Will you be accepting?

From my research last night here are the following things I learnt about the program:

- very theoretical (lots of essays)

- get shadowing experience in all wards but not as much hands on experience

- they are really good at getting you placements where you want to work

- very crammed

- Mon-Wed classes/ labs, Thurs-Fri clinicals

I'm not so good at writing essays so I'm a little nervous about how well I would perform.

Hey kdp, I have a few good friends in this program!

From what I know, your research is pretty accurate.

Theroetical: Yes, September/October of first year includes a lot of philosophy, although the curriculum progressively integrates more practical theory as you progress through first and second year.

Clinical: LOTS of practical experience. I've heard your role in first term clinical (maternity and geriatrics rotations) parallels that of a PSW, since you can't give medications/perform certain procedures until second term. You shadow for 1-2 days at each rotation to get a feel for the tasks you will be doing. However, after that, you are essentially working as an RN would, under mild supervision.

Getting placements where you want to work: There's a long 3 month placement at the end of second year where you are essentially "working" full-time in a clinical setting/field/location (within Canada) of your choice (no class). I think you're supposed to use this to phase into your future work setting...faculty helps (only for certain locations - I think just Ontario) but a lot of it is up to you. I'm currently being subjected to debates as to whether said aforementioned friends should do their rotation in Ontario, Vancouver or Whitehorse!

BUSY: Yes, especially during first term (it is compressed, after all!). However it does become lighter. With second term well under way, there seems to be a little less stress.

Essays: The program is pretty heterogenous with respect to undergraduate backgrounds (so if you're nervous about essays, you're probably not alone). There's also a lot of support for writing. That being said, these students always seem to be writing papers...

If you guys have any more questions, let me know and I can easily find out! I have a lot of time between now and May 15th...lol.

Hey, I got accepted too, and am waiting for my package as well. Will you be accepting?

From my research last night here are the following things I learnt about the program:

- very theoretical (lots of essays)

- get shadowing experience in all wards but not as much hands on experience

- they are really good at getting you placements where you want to work

- very crammed

- Mon-Wed classes/ labs, Thurs-Fri clinicals

I'm not so good at writing essays so I'm a little nervous about how well I would perform.

Hey kdp, Yes- I will be accepting. And sending in the $500 deposit - boo!!

Hey guys,

I just received an email about my acceptance and was going to post a discussion about this program. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is a bit confused! I'm surprised to hear there's a lot of essays, I figured it'd be more exam based. As for the GPA question, since is it an accelerated program, I would think that it would be a bit harder than regular undergrad to maintain a good GPA. Does anyone know what the tuition is? I couldn't find anything posted online.

Thanks bridge, I really appreciate your input.

I'm really nervous about accepting the offer. Its what I've wanted but I heard job prospects for RNs are looking grim, with RPNs replacing RNs in many hospitals. I just don't want to be unemployed after working so hard.

Have you heard about the job prospects for uoft nursing graduates? Do they have an edge over other schools.

Also, I eventually want to become a nurse practitioner for which I need a good GPA. Bridge, what GPAs did your friends maintain during their nursing undergrad at uoft?

Also, I just received my acceptance package, so if anyone would like to discuss anything, feel free to contact me :)

Thanks bridge for all your help! & kdp, isn't the demand shifting from RPNs to RNs? Just by looking at monster.ca and any hospital or community setting job offerings, there's a lot of RN positions available, more than any other health care profession. I'm more worried about the pay freeze that the Liberal government wants to implement (or will implement), but that's for all public sector workers so I guess we're doomed no matter what we do! Also, how long after you received the email for acceptance did you get the package? I'm still waiting on mine and it's been over a week. :confused:

Well I spoke to a lot of nursing students, and that's what they told me :( .

I received my acceptance on March 29th, and I got my package on April 5th. On my acceptance letter, it said I had until April 12 to accept my offer. So if you got an offer around the same time, I'd call the faculty and tell them that you still haven't received the package.

This forum is enabling my terrible procrastination habits...

SO. In response to your questions:

1) The shift is generally from RPN to RN. In some fields however, the reverse is happening, especially in areas of practice that are generally non-critical care. These include, for example, geriatrics and maternity. However, there are still RN positions available in these areas because of the possibility for emergency situations.

Demand also depends on the field you're going into. Geriatrics and mental health tend to have more openings than acute care and paediatrics. I've also heard that recent grads typically find part-time work in the institution where they want to be first, and then transition after a brief period of time to full-time (as many full-time positions are posted internally first).

2) I've heard U of T grads have a very slight edge - presumably because of the additional undergrad degree. Depends a lot on the hiring institution though.

3) GPAs range quite a bit - from about 3.0-4.0 among my group of friends. They say it's difficult to get over 85 (especially on subjective papers) but this is balanced by the more objective exams. Keep in mind U of T has a strange GPA system as well that may not be recognized in the same way by professional schools. For example a 4.0 = 85+ at UT, but for OMSAS (med app system) a 4.0 = 90+. Not sure what the NP programs require...

Thanks bridge, you've been really helpful:)

I'm just wondering if there is a point of suffering through a nursing undergrad at UofT, if their nursing students don't really have much of an edge when it comes to hiring :(. I did my undergrad at UofT and I had no life in order to maintain a mediocre gpa.

I also got accepted to Trent, and am wondering if I should accept that offer instead. I really want to move up in nursing so having a stellar gpa during my nursing undergrad is really important to me.

Anyone have any feedback?

I believe you have to create one. Just email these guys: new2uoft.access@utoronto.ca

Thanks for the reply, kdp. I emailed that address and what seemed to be an automated response told me my UTORid was in some email they sent in November... which I never received? And when I tried to just create one, the site told me that my UTORid and Applicant Number did not match.

Its quite possible I don't understand - did you, or anyone else, create a UTORid?

Trent students often consolidate (and end up working) in the Toronto hospitals. I don't know a lot about the program, however there is a lot less diversity with respect to hospitals/placements and they sometimes have quite long commutes. There was one girl in the hospital I volunteered at from Trent (in her final year) and she had a previous placement in Belleville for Geriatrics. Of course the faculty paid for her transportation (cab), however that's still about a 1.5 hour commute...not pleasant if you have to be at the hospital at 7 am.

If you're looking for diversity in clinical experience, U of T is definitely the winner. There are several world-class general and specialty hospitals just a stone's throw from the campus (Mt. Sinai, Toronto General, Princess Margret, SickKids, Toronto Rehab, St. Mike's, CAMH etc. etc...). However, I understand your concerns about maintaining a good GPA. Though I'm not sure about the importance of GPA with respect to getting work in your desired field/hospital - I assume it factors in. It's also important to consider that even though there are many hospitals around the downtown core, there's still a small chance you'll be placed in other areas of the GTA (e.g. Trillium in Mississauga was where one of my friends had to go for maternity). Thus you may have a long commute for one or two rotations despite the fact that there are hospitals right outside your door...

Take some time weighing the pros and cons, for sure.

Hey namaste10, I was an internal applicant so I did not have to create a utorid since I've had one for about 5 years now. If you haven't received an email back I suggest calling admissions. I'm sure if you have your student number (which is the same as your uoft applicant number), they will be able to help you find it :)

Also thanks bridge. I decided to accept uoft as I'm a commutaphobe LOL. If you don't mind me asking where did you go and how was your experience?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey namaste10, I was an internal applicant so I did not have to create a utorid since I've had one for about 5 years now. If you haven't received an email back I suggest calling admissions. I'm sure if you have your student number (which is the same as your uoft applicant number), they will be able to help you find it :)

Also thanks bridge. I decided to accept uoft as I'm a commutaphobe LOL.

Thanks for the response, kdp. Still having a hard time understanding the UofT ways, but I was able to confirm my registration.

This thread has been a bit slow for a while - who else is excited to meet everyone in September? Anyone know good ways to look for housing? Is there an orientation week? :)

Lol exactly my thoughts. I'm so excited, but I think I'm most excited about moving downtown! I haven't started looking, but I'm hoping to rent out an apartment building with a room mate. I spoke to my real estate agent, and she said that a decent place downtown on Bay and College costs around $800/ person utilities included. If anyone is interested in being roomies let me know :)

Also, I made a Facebook group so we can all get to know each other! Here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/166222650172408/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was just wondering if you guys could tell me what your GPAs looked like when applying to the accelerated programs? Curious if my GPA is competitive enough for the next round of admissions. I'm estimating a 3.3-3.5 realistically around the time I apply; think that would be competitive enough?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Join any of the Nursing courses but one thing is necessary, we should choose the universities that has got some name in the education system of the state, there are many universities which doesn't have sufficient infrastructure to commence the nursing courses but still they exist.

• 11 months later...

I was a RN preceptor for several UofT nursing students. One thing that they complained about was how hard the courses were and how many of them were not able to receive above B+.

I would do due diligence and think hard before going into UofT nursing program if you want to get into med school.

If you want to practice as a RN, then UofT gives you great hospital placements in Toronto.

Archived