Premed 101 Forums

SMPs

Pretty much no shot at getting any canadian Med school with those stats and since average matriculation of Canadian student at american allopathic school is ~3.7 GPA, dont see that either happening :(

Thats why the SMP might be intriguing

Pretty much no shot at getting any canadian Med school with those stats and since average matriculation of Canadian student at american allopathic school is ~3.7 GPA, dont see that either happening :(

If your MCAT is balanced (i.e. no section <10) and you have very good clinical, community volunteering with some leadership roles, GPA of 3.5 can be overcome. People with less than 3.5 GPA have made to US schools. I would apply and apply early. Read through these forums for personal statements etc.

Did you try McGill, they accept people with low GPAs.

Also, you could still try US DO schools.

well im only finishing my 3rd year of a biochem degree and im thinking of probably doing a 5th year to make my neuropsych minor into a major. So i'd finish with 2 degrees and hopefully a higher GPA.

I wouldn't mind doing an SMP I just wanted to ask in regards to if CANADIAN students doing an SMP get the same PERKS when applying to USA schools as americans do?

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have a list of smp's that accept Canadians and are worth applying to (ie: look at Canadian and American applicants equally)? Or even MD schools that are Canadian friendly? I'm specifically wondering about the low tier med schools that an above posted mentioned.

Here is why I am asking. I am a Canadian citizen and went to a Canadian university, so I have no American affiliation or resident status at all. My grades in my first two years of a four year program were very poor due to family problems, but I have managed to pick them up this year and expect that next year (my final year) will be the same. I am expecting to have a ~3.5 gpa when I graduate which will give me no chance of getting into a Canadian medical school, so now I am trying to explore my options, as I know that MD is the career for me. I have looked into the Rosalind Franklin smp program and plan to apply to that, but I am wondering if there is anything else out there for someone in my situation.

I have considered DO schools, but my concern is with being able to come back to Canada and get a job as a DO, seeing as we don't have any programs here, and they might be looked at and evaluated differently.

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Does anyone have a list of smp's that accept Canadians and are worth applying to (ie: look at Canadian and American applicants equally)? Or even MD schools that are Canadian friendly? I'm specifically wondering about the low tier med schools that an above posted mentioned.

Here is why I am asking. I am a Canadian citizen and went to a Canadian university, so I have no American affiliation or resident status at all. My grades in my first two years of a four year program were very poor due to family problems, but I have managed to pick them up this year and expect that next year (my final year) will be the same. I am expecting to have a ~3.5 gpa when I graduate which will give me no chance of getting into a Canadian medical school, so now I am trying to explore my options, as I know that MD is the career for me. I have looked into the Rosalind Franklin smp program and plan to apply to that, but I am wondering if there is anything else out there for someone in my situation.

I have considered DO schools, but my concern is with being able to come back to Canada and get a job as a DO, seeing as we don't have any programs here, and they might be looked at and evaluated differently.

There are lists all over the forum that are accurate for USMD. For SMPs, RFU is one of the better ones, check SDN for more recommendations.

Without an MCAT score, nothing to say that would be helpful.

Don't know what to do for US, but...

If you're last year was good and you think you can get good grades from here on out, I would still consider trying for canadian schools and going for:

-best/most recent two year schools (i.e. UWO, Queens)

-extend your undergrad to 5 years (don't graduate this upcoming year) and apply to Ottawa (most recent 3)

-apply to schools that drop your lowest year (e.g. schools in western canada) and bite the bullet of one of your two bad years remaining

There are lists all over the forum that are accurate for USMD. For SMPs, RFU is one of the better ones, check SDN for more recommendations.

Thanks. I haven't written the mcat yet but will be at the end of the summer and am expecting to get somewhere around a 30.

Do you think ou could post the link(s) for Canadian friendly US smp's. I'm having a hard time finding any good ones.

Archived