Premed 101 Forums

Do you recommend that I apply this summer?

"Never let the odds keep you from doing what you know in your heart you were meant to do." ~ H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Apply.

Honestly, what's the best thing that could happen if you apply? You get in. You graduate medical school and start working as a doctor a year earlier than you would if you waited.

What's the worst thing that could happen if you apply? You don't get in. Then you say to yourself, "Well that was good practice!," and apply again.

What is the best and worst thing that could happen if you don't apply at all? You don't get in. Because you had zero chance of getting in anyways. Big surprise there!

Okay, so that was obvious. But sometimes it helps to have a reminder from a 3rd party that you will never have a chance if you don't try. It would be one thing if unsuccessful applicants were thrown into the Nile River full of crocodiles... but what's the real risk here? The application fee and the time you put into your application. And maybe some self-confidence.

My sense is that what you're lacking is confidence...confidence that you don't have the right background to do well on the MCAT, confidence that you'll fail in the sea of competition.

Stop that destructive type of thinking! You. Can. Do. It.

UBC is great in that they don't put a whole lot of stock in MCAT scores. Put the effort in, but don't worry too much if you don't get a killer score. Sure, it'll be more impressive if you get a 38T than a 28Q (hello: my score, lol), but as long as you meet the minimums and do well in other areas of the application, you have a shot. Speaking of shots, don't shoot yourself in the foot early on by not applying at all and then spend a year wondering, "What if I had applied this year?" :P

Take it from someone who felt the same as you and lacked the science background. I had an arts degree, spent a summer teaching myself the basic science (and type of problem solving needed for the MCAT), and I did it. I applied and got an interview. Yes, there was a risk that I wouldn't get an interview, but there's 100% certainty of not getting an interview if I hadn't tried at all. Lots of people do the MCAT and apply and tell themselves, "If I don't do well this round, then this was good practice for next time."

Go for it. Life is about taking chances. Have confidence in yourself and put the right amount of work into it to make your chance of success higher :)

"What you have to do and the way you have to do it is incredibly simple. Whether you are willing to do it is another matter."

"Never let the odds keep you from doing what you know in your heart you were meant to do." ~ H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Apply.

Honestly, what's the best thing that could happen if you apply? You get in. You graduate medical school and start working as a doctor a year earlier than you would if you waited.

What's the worst thing that could happen if you apply? You don't get in. Then you say to yourself, "Well that was good practice!," and apply again.

What is the best and worst thing that could happen if you don't apply at all? You don't get in. Because you had zero chance of getting in anyways. Big surprise there!

Okay, so that was obvious. But sometimes it helps to have a reminder from a 3rd party that you will never have a chance if you don't try. It would be one thing if unsuccessful applicants were thrown into the Nile River full of crocodiles... but what's the real risk here? The application fee and the time you put into your application. And maybe some self-confidence.

My sense is that what you're lacking is confidence...confidence that you don't have the right background to do well on the MCAT, confidence that you'll fail in the sea of competition.

Stop that destructive type of thinking! You. Can. Do. It.

UBC is great in that they don't put a whole lot of stock in MCAT scores. Put the effort in, but don't worry too much if you don't get a killer score. Sure, it'll be more impressive if you get a 38T than a 28Q (hello: my score, lol), but as long as you meet the minimums and do well in other areas of the application, you have a shot. Speaking of shots, don't shoot yourself in the foot early on by not applying at all and then spend a year wondering, "What if I had applied this year?" :P

Take it from someone who felt the same as you and lacked the science background. I had an arts degree, spent a summer teaching myself the basic science (and type of problem solving needed for the MCAT), and I did it. I applied and got an interview. Yes, there was a risk that I wouldn't get an interview, but there's 100% certainty of not getting an interview if I hadn't tried at all. Lots of people do the MCAT and apply and tell themselves, "If I don't do well this round, then this was good practice for next time."

Go for it. Life is about taking chances. Have confidence in yourself and put the right amount of work into it to make your chance of success higher :)

"What you have to do and the way you have to do it is incredibly simple. Whether you are willing to do it is another matter."

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I do have another issue. I feel that if I want to write it this summer that I will be scrambling. I mean I have to spend money on getting all these materials and registration, but I have final exams coming up and it seems like I am already too late.

I don't really have the money right now to spend registering, buying materials, and then applying to UBC. Unfortunately, I think I will have to wait until next year.

What I wanted most of all was to do a practice run of the MCAT to see what it is like and to actually sit in an MMI to also get a feel for what that is like.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I do have another issue. I feel that if I want to write it this summer that I will be scrambling. I mean I have to spend money on getting all these materials and registration, but I have final exams coming up and it seems like I am already too late.

I don't really have the money right now to spend registering, buying materials, and then applying to UBC. Unfortunately, I think I will have to wait until next year.

What I wanted most of all was to do a practice run of the MCAT to see what it is like and to actually sit in an MMI to also get a feel for what that is like.

Any suggestions?

For the MCAT, whether you write this year or next- this is a great guide: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

The materials ARE expensive, but one nice thing is you can re-sell them for nearly what you got them for since they're always in demand. I bought mine used, and re-sold them for about 20$ cheaper than I got them for when all was said and done.

The guide is 3 months, and its excellent preparation (you can read through the thread). I had been out of the relevant courses for several years (i.e. forgotten most of it) and scored a balanced 32R. I recommend it to anyone who asks.

Best of luck to you :D

Any suggestions?

Well the MMI isn't usually until February or March, so that gives you lots of time to practice (no scrambling there).

Why don't you set aside an upcoming Saturday or Sunday (yes, in the next couple weekends) and dedicate it to doing a 'cold-run' of the MCAT at home. Yes, that's with NO studying or preparation whatsoever. Do a practice MCAT exam from start to finish, timed, nervous, sitting at a desk (not your couch or bed), in simulated conditions as close to the real deal as possible.

This will give you a good estimate of the score you'd get if you took it right now, and it'll help you decide how much work you have to do (and how much you'd really have to scramble) during the summer. If you're worried about having to find books, lots of people (myself included) live in Vancouver (I assume you go to UBC) and have the whole shebang of books that they'd be happy to sell. If your cold-run gives you a 22 or something, that will tell you have some more work to do, but it's still completely possible. One of my really good friends did a cold-run of the MCAT, surprisingly pulled off a 31 and thought, "that's good enough for me". She looked at where her mistakes were, brushed up on a few concepts, walked in and did her real MCAT and got a 33. I wouldn't pay for and take a real MCAT for "just practice". If you're going to take the MCAT, make it count.

I really think the biggest thing holding you back right now is your self-defeating attitude (lack of confidence). Are you worried about letting yourself down?

That being said, it can be hard to overcome that feeling of "not being ready", so if you truly feel like you'll be better prepared to tackle the application process next year, then by all means wait. But remember that few of us ever feel 100% ready for important things.

I just don't see any harm in going through with it now. Like I said in a previous post, what's the worst thing that could happen? :)

You will likely find yourself pleasantly surprised by none other than yourself.

For the MCAT, whether you write this year or next- this is a great guide: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

The materials ARE expensive, but one nice thing is you can re-sell them for nearly what you got them for since they're always in demand. I bought mine used, and re-sold them for about 20$ cheaper than I got them for when all was said and done.

The guide is 3 months, and its excellent preparation (you can read through the thread). I had been out of the relevant courses for several years (i.e. forgotten most of it) and scored a balanced 32R. I recommend it to anyone who asks.

Best of luck to you :D

Hello Dr. Henderson,

That is exactly the guide I was planning to follow and I have read through it thoroughly. One problem is that I need to have ordered the materials at least 2 months ago and I worry I won't get them in time.

Do I still have time?

Well the MMI isn't usually until February or March, so that gives you lots of time to practice (no scrambling there).

Why don't you set aside an upcoming Saturday or Sunday (yes, in the next couple weekends) and dedicate it to doing a 'cold-run' of the MCAT at home. Yes, that's with NO studying or preparation whatsoever. Do a practice MCAT exam from start to finish, timed, nervous, sitting at a desk (not your couch or bed), in simulated conditions as close to the real deal as possible.

This will give you a good estimate of the score you'd get if you took it right now, and it'll help you decide how much work you have to do (and how much you'd really have to scramble) during the summer. If you're worried about having to find books, lots of people (myself included) live in Vancouver (I assume you go to UBC) and have the whole shebang of books that they'd be happy to sell. If your cold-run gives you a 22 or something, that will tell you have some more work to do, but it's still completely possible. One of my really good friends did a cold-run of the MCAT, surprisingly pulled off a 31 and thought, "that's good enough for me". She looked at where her mistakes were, brushed up on a few concepts, walked in and did her real MCAT and got a 33. I wouldn't pay for and take a real MCAT for "just practice". If you're going to take the MCAT, make it count.

I really think the biggest thing holding you back right now is your self-defeating attitude (lack of confidence). Are you worried about letting yourself down?

That being said, it can be hard to overcome that feeling of "not being ready", so if you truly feel like you'll be better prepared to tackle the application process next year, then by all means wait. But remember that few of us ever feel 100% ready for important things.

I just don't see any harm in going through with it now. Like I said in a previous post, what's the worst thing that could happen? :)

You will likely find yourself pleasantly surprised by none other than yourself.

Thanks again for the advice, but its more about the money and time aspect of it all. You see, I have a lot of bills and I have not set aside any money to go towards MCAT materials (registration, application process, test materials, etc). I feel like if I go ahead and spend all this money, receive my test materials late and have to scramble to catch up on studying.

This is something that I suddenly just thought of today in class and I didn't have the thought of writing this test and applying to UBC beforehand.

I live out in Abbotsford and I don't have my own car.

You make a good point about the MCAT, though. I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to move forward and write it for the heck of it. I guess if I wanted to get a feel for what the MCAT is like, I should write a practice test.

I think what I really want in the end is to get a feel for the MMI, but of course I can't do that until I write the MCAT and apply.

I wish I thought of this beforehand...

Hello everyone,

I am a long time lurker and am looking for an honest opinion. Converting my GPA over to a UBC percentage I will end up with a 84.96 (85%). I am in my second year and thus I cannot drop my lowest year (I just over 60 credits now). My percentage will convert over to an AQ of 33.185 out of 50. I feel that my EC's are strong. Some of the things I have done or am currently doing: I work full time (an have been for many years), volunteer within my community, I have many hobbies, I hold a leadership position, I tutor many subjects, I am two-time champion in an international tournament for an online game of which I have played for many years (not sure if I should include this, lol), and I have presented a research poster. In any case, I do feel that I can meet the average NAQ of accepted applicants – however, I can't be completely sure. I'm cutting it close to the 60.49 TFR score to get a review.

I have one other problem. I have yet to write the MCAT. My question to you all is: Should I write it this summer? I have not completed a full year of organic chemistry or a full year of physics. I have only taken 2/3 physiology classes offered at my university (I have been told they that last part of the physiology series is a great help towards the MCAT since it goes over, in detail, the various organ systems).

Do you recommend that I write my MCAT this summer to get a feel for the test and hopefully do well? If I meet the minimums, I can apply to UBC and hopefully get an interview.

If not, I can wait until next year (my third year). If I wait, I still have the opportunity to raise my GPA significantly (potentially, up to an 88 - 89% average). This will give me an AQ around 48 out of 50 as opposed to 33. I will have more time put towards my EC's. I will have all my pre-reqs done and will have all the background knowledge I need so that I can focus on reviewing material as opposed to learning it for the MCAT – I assume I will do better as a result.

I know this seems like an easy decision, in that I should hold off a year. However, have you guys found that writing the MCAT as a practice run just to get a feel for the test helped immensly?

Porsche.

you should apply. do the mcat, it doesnt matter if you do poorly, just make sure you get 7's. My friend got in last year with grades similar to what you have (~86%) and had 8/7/10 O. you'll do great.

you should apply. do the mcat, it doesnt matter if you do poorly, just make sure you get 7's. My friend got in last year with grades similar to what you have (~86%) and had 8/7/10 O. you'll do great.

Agreed! With marks like that and your current background, you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting at least 7 across the board. Brush up on physics and organic chemistry you should be good to go (if you look hard enough you'll find non-paper copies of prep material :P). With the marks that you currently have, I don't think you'll have any difficulty getting an interview at UBC ...I'd be ecstatic if I had grades like that!

How much time can you spend on the MCAT over the summer?

Agreed! With marks like that and your current background, you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting at least 7 across the board. Brush up on physics and organic chemistry you should be good to go (if you look hard enough you'll find non-paper copies of prep material :P). With the marks that you currently have, I don't think you'll have any difficulty getting an interview at UBC ...I'd be ecstatic if I had grades like that!

How much time can you spend on the MCAT over the summer?

!!!!!are you suggesting that porche should illegally download copy righted material?!?! OMG how can you be a good doctor with ethics like that : P

I would ideally like to start a week or week and a half after my final exams so around April 26 - April 30 all the way until September 1st.

More than enough time for you to prepare then...even if you're working full time! Set up a schedule and go for it...you wont know how you'll fare unless you try!

Why is this a question? If you are capable of an 85% average you should not worry about the MCAT. It may require a very wide scope of knowledge, but it is very surface level.

Anyone with an 85% average will more than likely get an interview as an IP.

How will you be spending the summer? (like, how much of the day can be spent on the MCAT) Starting the week after finals is lots of time, but you might get sick of it before its testtime haha

Apparently the attitude here is much different from Student Doctor Network... I'm in second year like you and I was looking forwards :P to writing the exam this year as well (im still registered for the 23). My average is above 90, and Ive done courses in anat/ ochem/ biochem/ honours physics, in addition to currently working in a supervisory position and some volunteer positions (Not as impressive as you though)

However, I'm also going on a research internship abroad which will span the entire summer, and the people at SDN have scared me enough to not take the MCAT, because it IS "A difficult exam," and it requires studying 8 hours a day for 3 months or something :eek: Seen in the guide provided by Dr. Henderson

Not to mention that it is a standardized test, and when you take it at the end of August, you'll be taking it with a whole bunch of intense people who have spent the entire summer studying for the exam (see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=900023)

Well anyways, I might just be wasting my time writing all this, the status quo in here is that UBC doesn`t care that much about the MCAT marks.. But I just want to say that, if you`re able to study well for the MCAT then by all means do it and apply. I've always believed that anything can be achieved with hard work, but you'd have your work cut out for you given that some of the material will be new. But if you don`t think you could perform as well as you can on the exam, then there is nothing wrong in taking the test a year later. You can boost your grades and add more cushioning to your NAQ. I would weigh the pros and cons of delaying your application and then seeing which one applies more.

In any case good luck ! :)

Archived