Premed 101 Forums

Choosing Degree

I have a friend joining university next year, he aspires to become a physician... he has been asking me for advice on choosing a degree...:cool:

I told him to major in physio/pharma, so that it best prepares him... but others (other people he took advice from) argue that he should follow an easier degree (Kin, econ, music...) to boost his average... as thats what college of medicine looks for... lol

Any suggestions on the repercussions of following an easier degree? Does medicine truly not look at ones degree? [i think thats unfair for students following a harder degree...???]

Right? Or am I just being stupid? :confused:

I have a friend joining university next year, he aspires to become a physician... he has been asking me for advice on choosing a degree...:cool:

I told him to major in physio/pharma, so that it best prepares him... but others (other people he took advice from) argue that he should follow an easier degree (Kin, econ, music...) to boost his average... as thats what college of medicine looks for... lol

Any suggestions on the repercussions of following an easier degree? Does medicine truly not look at ones degree? [i think thats unfair for students following a harder degree...???]

Right? Or am I just being stupid? :confused:

U of S does not care what degree you are pursuing; they only want to see that you have a backup plan (ie, you are not taking all easy classes, but are actually working towards something).

I know this because I am not in phys/pharm (nor would I ever dabble with more than 3 'hard' sciences in a semester), and I still got an interview here, and at another school. I'm pursuing a B.A., and working towards applying to education as a backup plan. However, they DO check to see that you are not just doing all easy courses by noting how many 100 levels you are taking, and they might ask you (as they asked me) how a certain course applies to your degree. If its not necessary, or you have exceed the 54 credits in the 100 level, they may throw out that year as one of your 2 best years.

In my opinion, the first step required to get yourself into medical school is to ensure you are getting the best grades possible (the second step is even more important- prepare yourself for the interview). For me, that means doing only the required prerequisite courses, and then sticking to an easier major. English, and social science/humanities are not good choices as professors are very hesitant to give out 90s. Kin, geography, and Language degrees (if you speak another language) tend to be easier.

Do something where you'll stick out more! Don't join the typical premed gang in phys/anatomy/biochem etc. and fight against a whole class, presumably the most competitive cohort in University, for the grade that everyone in the class wants.

The bottom line:

There are no repercussions for majoring in any certain type of degree, as long as you do all the prerequisites and are working towards a degree/backup plan for a career.

My advice: take all the hard courses you are required to, but not any more than that. They may be interesting, but you run the risk of not doing as well and not getting into the professional school you want. Yeah my major may be considered 'boring' by some, but if it gets me the grades I need to get into medschool, I'll have plenty of time to enjoy the science of medicine!

Wow, a truly succinct answer! :D

So, as long as your 100 lvl courses is under or equal to the limit, you are fine?

Yes. I had Cheryl from the College of Medicine contact me when I registered in two 100 level classes this semester because they had warned me about the limit of 54 credits. She asked why I was taking them. I was able to show her why I needed those courses, and (more importantly) that I would not have exceeded the 54 credit limit, as these 2 classes would bring me up to the limit exactly. She was fine with that, and simply said (something along the lines of) "Ok, but you cannot take any more or you are in danger of having that year thrown out".

• 2 weeks later...

Archived