Premed 101 Forums

Special Student or 2nd Undergrad?

Hello,

This is my first time writing, but I've been stalking this thread for awhile to get some tips on what to do. I've done a lot of soul searching this past year and I really want to go into Medicine. The problem is my GPA.

1st – 2.8

2nd – 2.8

3rd – 3.3

4th – 3.4

Master’s – 4.0

MCAT 8/8/11/p (Retaking in May!)

ECs - Many - multiple committees, teaching, organizing conferences, St. John's Ambulance, Hospital, Sports....

Currently I’m finishing my Master’s at the University of Alberta and I really hope to finish late September. I know that in order to be competitive I need to bring up my GPA. I was just wondering if it’s better to do one year as a special student where you can take any class you want or do a second undergrad degree? I’m aiming for Calgary since they seem to like the more untraditional students.

I would love to get any advice that you guys have :) .

I would love to get any advice that you guys have :) .

I would do a second degree. To be safe, choose an honours degree that will take you three years to finish. This will bring more schools online with each year you complete.

You could apply to calgary each year (and I would), but unless you very dramatically improve your MCAT your chances are probably not great though they will improve each year you boost your GPA and ECs. If you can improve your MCAT to make yourself eligible for Queen's/Western, then doing two more years will make you eligible for those schools. And after a third year you'll be eligible for Ottawa as well.

I would do a second degree. To be safe, choose an honours degree that will take you three years to finish. This will bring more schools online with each year you complete.

You could apply to calgary each year (and I would), but unless you very dramatically improve your MCAT your chances are probably not great though they will improve each year you boost your GPA and ECs. If you can improve your MCAT to make yourself eligible for Queen's/Western, then doing two more years will make you eligible for those schools. And after a third year you'll be eligible for Ottawa as well.

Simpy, why will he only be eligible to apply for ottawa after a third year of 2nd ug? I have similar stats and ottawa is my home school, so I'm just curious. don't they take best 3 years (meaning he could do 2 + 1 yr from 1st ug)?

Archived