Premed 101 Forums

Where should I do my second undergrad?

Hey Everyone,

I am just finishing my first undergrad in BC this semester. Looking back on these four years I can say things did not go as I had planned. I am probably going to graduate with a B+ average with inconsistent grades. I have some A's mixed with some B+s and B's.

The reason I did poorly in my first undergrad has to do with a few things such as: being lazy, too comfortable, immaturity and simply not working hard enough. Sometimes I never cracked a book or studied all semester until the day before a midterm/final (not proud of this).

At times, I have worked very hard (only in a few courses) and I have done very well. I know if I keep this effort consistent I can and will do well in my second degree. I know time is not on my side (I am 23 now) so I really need to develop a long term plan here.

I can stay at my current university (in BC) and do another second degree here and then apply to the schools that look at the last two years or I can move to Alberta to complete a degree at UofA or UofC. If I move, I will obviously create more financial stress having to pay rent and I will probably have less time to pursue extra curricular activities (working). On the positive side, It will be a change of scenery and maybe It will help break me out of this "comfort" lifestyle I am in currently. And obviously I will gain IP staus in Alberta.

Will the move to Alberta really be a huge advantage compared to staying in BC and doing a second degree? It sucks because UBC is very competitive so I feel even if I do get a 3.9/3.9 avg in the next two years, my last 4 years of grades (first degree) will just average me out of a chance at an interview @ UBC.

Do the other schools who look at your best two/last two years have in province preferences (i.e UWO, Queens, Ottawa etc)? Also, should I write my MCAT this summer before I start my second degree? I want to write it but my morale is kind of low thinking about how I have such a Sh*tty GPA for med school, and that I have failed myself up to this point. I feel like If I have a year of solid grades (first year of second degree) I would be feeling more confident and realistic about my future. This positivity could provide much more motivation to do well on the MCAT. Right now my mind is obsessed with where and what I am going to do my second degree in. Don't get me wrong, I can suck it up and write it this summer but we all no how important being in the right mindset is.

In closing, If I stay home@ my current UNI in BC, what should my long term plan be in terms of what schools to apply to given my situation?

Thanks

Word of warning with the UofA: almost all classes are graded on a curve (unless you take a second language as your major). I had classes of 13 people that were curved (ie basically each person in the class got a different letter grade.... how does that work- 13 is hardly big enough for a random distribution! Especially when everyone was given 100% on an assignment worth 30% of the final grade....) and classes where my 93% only translated to a B+. There were also the flip side where I'd have a mark of 55% and end up with an A-. The curve can worth for you and it can work against you. Personally, I like the university I'm at now where everything is your own grade. I know exactly what percentage I need to get to get the A and I find there to be a lot more camaraderie too since their mark (or my mark) doesn't depend on what the other person knows/doesn't know.

Word of warning with the UofA: almost all classes are graded on a curve (unless you take a second language as your major). I had classes of 13 people that were curved (ie basically each person in the class got a different letter grade.... how does that work- 13 is hardly big enough for a random distribution! Especially when everyone was given 100% on an assignment worth 30% of the final grade....) and classes where my 93% only translated to a B+. There were also the flip side where I'd have a mark of 55% and end up with an A-. The curve can worth for you and it can work against you. Personally, I like the university I'm at now where everything is your own grade. I know exactly what percentage I need to get to get the A and I find there to be a lot more camaraderie too since their mark (or my mark) doesn't depend on what the other person knows/doesn't know.

Thanks for the advice, I thought about the bell curve @ UofA as well. I am also considering UofC and I have been told that they do not bell curve there. What school are you @ now?

Archived