Premed 101 Forums

is it that hard?

Guest Ibraheem

Guest Ibraheem

I am currently in high school, as many of you might already know. I am very curious about this issue: is it really that hard to pull a mark up higher than 85 in university and getting a GPA of greater than 3.7? :hat

Guest cptn med

Honestly, Its not that hard... it just takes a lot dedication. Then when you add a bunch of volunteer stuff you just have to not mind being busy.

Don't let this board scare you off or worry you. Everybody needs to vent sometimes and this is a great place to do it.

You must also remember that the level of difficulty factors in on a few things. Two of them being the program and school you attend. If you are sure that this is your thing then you can probably pull it off.

Good Luck.

It's amazing how different your brain works in university

--well mine did anyway :)

It's a different type of learning, once you figure out how to play the game then it's easy. You have to be motivated and self-directed and you'll do fine.

Lorae and cptn med both know what they're talking about. I actually work a lot better under the university system than the high school system, and if you don't, if you learn how to adapt to it you can get 3.7+. But it's not easy, you're gonna have to put in the time and effort, and 85 obviously isn't as easy as it was in high school.

Guest FrenchyMed

I had a tough time in 1st year because I had poor study habits. I had done well in high-school without having to put much effort into it.

In university, I found it hard to get motivated because no one was pushing me to submit assignments or to study. You have to be self-motivated. It's easy to get lost in a 1st chemistry class amongst 250 other students...

Guest noncestvrai

I think that motivation is the key. Buck-a-beer night at foufounes electriques or studying, that was my moral dilemna in first year university. Suffice to say that I did poorly in my first year, and also I had to learn in a new language, English (I had a formal French education before).

I was a bit turned off by the competitive environment of my university as well, and all the rich kids who did not need to work part-time on top of school. Then I came to realise that I am the only one who I really need to convince, so I worked harder and got better marks, and that while understanding the game and myself more and more.

Moral: there is no substitute for work if you want to attain a goal, especially if you want to get straight A's.

noncestvrai

Guest drews97

Take it from a guy who got in the high 90's in highschool...it's not as easy as it might first seem to get 85+ in university. I had never gotten anything lower than a 85% in high school so I though I had a 4.0 guaranteed....I was wrong!! First of all, the 85+ is a bit of a myth, since in some hard courses that I've taken (ie://Biochemistry 443) an 'A' was actually a 78%!! Conversely, in some easier classes I took an 'A' was as high as 93%!!!! Secondly, these marks are set to allow for a normal distribution...if an A was 'easy' to get there wouldn't exactly be a normal distribution. There were many classes I took where I worked my ass off only to get an A- or less...in fact, in some courses only a handful of 'A' were given out. What I'm trying to say is that it is obviuosly possible to get high marks (someone has to get them, right?) but it's usually not as easy as you would think.

Archived