Premed 101 Forums

MSc Global Health

My boyfriend applied to this program, but has yet to receive any mail or email response, nor has his status changed in the SGS system. Given the large volumes of med hopefuls who are applying to the MSc in Global Health, we thought we would try our luck here to find out if anyone has received admissions offers for Mac's Global Health program yet?

I also applied and haven't heard back yet! patiently waiting for good news :) my friend says that they will start sending out notifications beginning the last week of April (it is posted somewhere on their website apparently) sooooo hopefully we hear soon :)

Check out this thread: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51306&highlight=MSc+Global+Health

As I stated in the other thread (being a person who applied last year and was eventually accepted, but not choosing to attend) the acceptance process into Mac's MSc in Global Health program seems a bit 'finicky.'

I talked with Sonya (who was the coordinator for the program last year, maybe she still is) in person, exchanged quite a few e-mails with her, and talked to her on the phone once.

She would tell me slightly different things each time I talked to her, and it really took quite a bit of 'leg work' to figure out when applications were being sent out/if the program was full/when the last acceptances were going to be sent out and so on.

Based off of information I received from Sonya last year:

- They sent out the first round of offers in mid-April

- They give these people a month+ to decide if they want to take the offer

- They do not send out the second round of admissions right away

- The 'wait list' system is interesting, I didn't receive an e-mail that I was on the wait list until mid-July (based off of this, I am assuming there is a lot of movement in who accepts, who stays/removes themselves from the wait list, and so on)

- I was accepted into the program late August (3rd week of August if I recall correctly)

From my experience, it's a very competitive program. Pretty tough to get in straight from undergrad, and if you do, you're likely a beastly 'med-school-rejected' applicant.

Archived