Premed 101 Forums

What would non-trads applicant planning on doing if they don't get in this cycle?

Hello,

I am a non-trad and I received one interview this year (which made me to think that there is yet a hope!). However, given the statistics, my interview experience (why did I ask that question? why did I say that? why did I blank?) and above all my wasted year (this year after my graduation with MSc) I am unsure what I need to do for another year if I don't get in.

What have people planned so far (for this year if you are done school or at the end of contract work)?

I've thought about other alternatives (health professional...because you know as you get old, you need to compromise your dream and reality) but I think I would probably try one more time because I have strangely, a strong conviction about studying medicine... I honestly can't imagine myself being happy in other careers, because I feel like MD will open more doors for me whether I want to go into research, patient care or both (not that you are limited if you are in nursing or PA or other stuffs, but I feel that getting MD will grant greater autonomy). And although 4 years is long and daunting, given how much stuff you need to know and the fact that you start clerkship after 2 years (that is meeting real patients, working at the hospital, gradually settling) doesn't seem that long and I honestly don't think I would have been mentally mature enough to handled it back in my early 20s.

Anyway, to make a long story short and not to go on tangent any further than is necessary (...) what have you planned non-trads?

I'm a non-trad who did not get interviews this year. I have plans to find new interesting work in the health research/health promotion field, to re-write my MCAT and to do some interesting volunteering. I've been out of school since 2010, and while I would love to start medical school asap, I don't consider my last two years as "wasted" but have found several opportunities for interesting work, volunteer experience, research etc.

Good Luck!

If this is your passion I would get as much information from the schools you applied to as to why you didnt get and interview or from the school you interviewed at and find out how close you were to entry (if possible) getting feedback as to what you can improve.

Sometimes this will give you the information you need to focus on for the next year ... if they tell you your GPA is below par or your community based ECs are low well there you have a plan for your upcoming year or two

I am not at the end of contract work .... as I have FT permanent employment but I would strengthen the variables that I could strengthen ... For example my plan to strengthen includes:

1) Work on getting a journal article published. I submitted a manuscript last week but know with the possibility of rejection of my manuscript and multiple revisions this may take much more work than just submitting. So I hope to have 1 publication for next cycle.

2) Research/Professional presentations ... since my OMSAS application was submitted I have done oral presentations at a national conference, 2 regional conferences and upcoming two more regional conferences. So I guess 5 presentations that would be added to my Auto bio sketch not present before.

3) I was invited to sit on an interprofessional curriculum planning committee at NOSM so this will also be added to my ABS, I attended 2 meetings so far. Will be 7 months on the committe by the time OMSAS is due again.

Sadly I think that is all I can actively tweak besides continuing my three long term commitment ECs and lengthen my context score at NOSM (living longer in the North to advantage my application).

So there are no leaps and bounds that I can make between this year and next year like some other people can as my life is relatively static and in auto pilot for now.

I told myself I'd let myself do what I need to do for 2 cycles. For this cycle I'll be limited to applying only to a few schools (unless I rock the MCAT, which is unlikely). This next year I'll just keep volunteering, taking prereqs to be able to apply more broadly next cycle and maybe rewrite the MCAT if necessary.

Archived