Premed 101 Forums

Competitive Specialties

Guest nonce

Guest nonce

Hello,

I had a question about the so-called 'competitive specialties'.....while im undecided on which specialty i would like to pursue, a few of my interests lie in fields that seem to be quite competitive.

I am now in my second year (4 yr. program), and was wondering, is it too late to show interest in these competitive specialties? I see many classmates knee deep in what they want through shadowing, research etc. B/c i simply do not know what i want to do yet, ive been doing some non-specific things (basica science research, shadowing everyone under the sun). Will I be at a disadvantage b/c of this? Or, is most of the 'face-time' done during clerkship?

Furthermore, is there time to do research during clerkship?

I hope this made sense.

Thanks for your help.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Yeah, it's never too late to get your feet wet in a field that interests you, even if it is a competitive one! Although there will always be those uber-keeners that have been doing electives and research in field X since (before?) the first day of medical school, you can definitely compete (most of the time) with them.

I say go for it- if you're truly interested in a field, then definitely seek out those opportunities in terms of research and extra projects- ask around a bit, you never know what's out there!

Although having extra research and stuff is fine and good, keep in mind that what will ultimately make or break you is the type of person you are and whether or not program directors will think that you are a good fit for their program. You can have all the research in the world under your belt, but if you're a total moron on the wards or a pathologic personality, it's almost assured that you won't match where you want to be.

As for research in clerkship, it's definitely possible, but it might take a lot more doing on your part because you're really busy to begin with and your exposure time to the various specialties can be quite brief (2 weeks).

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived