Premed 101 Forums

LOR's from professors that taught graduate courses?

S&G

Hi,

I'm currently a graduate student, looking to finish at the end of this year. Having being rejected from all Canadian schools despite 2 interviews the first time I applied (when I was 4th year undergrad student), it's been pretty tough. I'm at my 2nd year MSc program at the moment.

Looking through the requirements for American schools, they require few LOR's from science professors that taught you. Last year, I emailed about 20 of my professors for LOR's. I received 1 email. Pretty devastating, even if I got an A, they didn't send me any emails. I resent emails too, but received nothing. I am 4 hours via plane ride from my undergrad university, which also will take me $500... I am not looking to hop on a plane to go around asking for professors LOR's.. Now, I have taken two graduate courses, and I wanted to ask them for LOR's. However, my question remains: Will American universities take LOR's from professors that taught graduate courses? Or is it strictly undergraduates only?

Thank you.

It depends on the school. A lot of schools don't have a requirement at all, while others have some sort of a requirement (2 from Science faculty, 1 from non-Science). Most schools want one of the letters to be from your graduate supervisor. When I was applying, I mostly submitted graduate school LOR's and most schools were ok with it.

Best thing is to compile a list of schools you want to apply to and send all of them an email with your question.

yes, I think you should contact individual schools too.

I'm so sorry to hear that by the way, that is brutal...especially if you were strong candidate who received two interviews previously...

Best of luck and make sure you get LOR all in as early as possible.

My application was held until september because of 1 prof who refused to write ref letter fast enough. (I think I might despise her for that among other things... but the blame is on me ultimately)

Archived