Premed 101 Forums

How are graduate grades counted?

I know most schools don't look much at having a grad degree, but what do they do about your grad GPA? Does it get counted in? My undergrad GPA is 3.88 (full-time, 40 courses) and grad is 4.0 (consists of 3 courses), so obviously they aren't weighted the same but do those grad courses get added to my undergrad GPA?

they DONT count.

alote of med schools have gone to the offense to say that NO grad school markes DO NOT count...

recent changes was Ottawa (no value) and Northern (out) and rumors have Queens taking it out too

if we know that MAJORITY OF can medschools do not look favorably on the grad gpa we can then assume that the ones that doe probably do it very lightly

if you dont not have a +30 and a +3.7 GPA..grad will not help...period...

please dont NOT reply to these comments with c&p comments from medschools..it takes common sense to see this

they DONT count.

alote of med schools have gone to the offense to say that NO grad school markes DO NOT count...

recent changes was Ottawa (no value) and Northern (out) and rumors have Queens taking it out too

if we know that MAJORITY OF can medschools do not look favorably on the grad gpa we can then assume that the ones that doe probably do it very lightly

I disagree with the above post.

Although it is true that many schools do not count the grades from your grad GPA it is not because a grad degree is not favourable. It is because doing so makes their number game a lot simpler.

Most schools in Canada, however, do boost your overall application score for having a Masters. The only ones that I can think of that don't are Western, Ottawa. This is because they believe that they are cutting you enough slack already (by this I mean, Ottawa - no MCAT and Western - relatively low GPA cutoffs for interview).

UofT needs a low UG cGPA for applying GS. Would having a 3.3 UG cGPA and a 4.0 GS cGPA be realistic to have as a GS to be accepted?

Was it thesis or course based? A general rule of thumb is that if it's thesis based, your application will be judged based on research productivity and almost completely based on grades if it is course-based.

This being said, if I were you, I would definitely submit your application. It all depends on the pool of graduate applicants.

Good luck.

they DONT count.

if you dont not have a +30 and a +3.7 GPA..grad will not help...period...

please dont NOT reply to these comments with c&p comments from medschools..it takes common sense to see this

You mean No grad school marks COUNT :D

And I also disagree, since you will definitely have an advantage (in a few med schools such as UT) over someone with only an undergrad.

And I also disagree, since you will definitely have an advantage (in a few med schools such as UT) over someone with only an undergrad.

Was it thesis or course based? A general rule of thumb is that if it's thesis based, your application will be judged based on research productivity and almost completely based on grades if it is course-based.

This being said, if I were you, I would definitely submit your application. It all depends on the pool of graduate applicants.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply! :)

I know most schools don't look much at having a grad degree, but what do they do about your grad GPA? Does it get counted in? My undergrad GPA is 3.88 (full-time, 40 courses) and grad is 4.0 (consists of 3 courses), so obviously they aren't weighted the same but do those grad courses get added to my undergrad GPA?

I am assuming you already applied once before completing a grad degree since your UG GPA looks pretty good. But I'm sure if you apply this time around you'll definitely get a few interviews (assuming a nice MCAT score and good ECs).

Yes the ONEEEEEE amazing grad school every masters student has a focus on

Gimme a break...all can medschool have abolished the masters in admission

If school A does not value your gpa it speaks volumes as to how school B looks at it

Do NOT ONLY. Focus in the BS of a website!!!! A 5% is not an advantage for the work u do.. It's a disgrace!!!

Notice how the grad success threads have died down

DO NOT DO GRAD SCHOOL TO GET INTO MED!!!!

I have been reading through the accepted/rejected/waitlisted of various schools and noticed at least 10-15 grad applicants who have either been accepted or waitlisted this cycle. Just because they fail to post in the grad success stories does not automatically correlate with grad applicants not being accepted.

I went to grad school to give me more time to boost my volunteering and ec's. I got my research done, gained a lot of life experience and was accepted into two Canadian med schools this year. I really didn't love grad studies, but it gave me time to make my application more competitive. I'm glad I went, plus you earn money so its like you get paid to get a degree, I went into zero debt and lived really well. Just make sure your supervisor knows you aren't interested in a PhD and only want a MSc so you can apply to med.

It's more like $21,000 actually lol. But I paid my tuition and lived in the most expensive city in the country and still had money to travel and spend on great experiences. In the end I achieved my goal because I'm heading to a Canadian med school in September. I can see judging from most of your posts that you think it's wise to apply to American med schools rather than go to graduate school and then apply to medicine in Canada. That's fine by me if that's what you want, but it is important to me to study medicine and do my residency in Canada so I can practice here.

Archived